If you determine that the LCD PCB has to be replaced, use this guide to see how to change the PCB. If the LCD Display on your Compupool CPSC Series Salt Chlorine Generator (SCG) is blank or fading while under power, it may be time to replace the display and its associated Printed Circuit Board (PCB). See our guide on "How To Isolate and Correct Compupool CPSC Problems" for further information.
1. ORDER PARTS - Order parts ahead of time to have them on hand. The only part you will need for this replacement is the "Display PCB".
2. TURN OFF POWER - Turn off all power to the Compupool Salt Chlorine Generator and pump. If possible, turn the power off at the circuit breaker. Make sure power is OFF and cannot be accidentally turned on while you are changing the cell cord. This is 240V. If you are unfamiliar with electricity, have an electrician help you with the electrical changes.
3. UNSCREW CONTROL UNIT - Remove the four screws that hold the Control Unit onto the wall plate - two on the top and one on each side of the Unit at its base.
4. REMOVE CONTROL UNIT - Take the Control Unit off the wall and lay it on its back. I used a portable bench here because of the short power cord.
5. REMOVE BOTTOM SCREWS. - Remove the 6 screws that hold the gray Housing Cover onto the base of the Control Unit.
6. REMOVE HOUSING COVER - Turn the Control Unit over and lift of the Housing Cover. Place the Housing Cover upside down next to the Control Unit. You will see the PCB at the bottom of the Housing Cover.
7. REMOVE GRAY RIBBON - Lift the end terminal of the gray ribbon cable out of its socket in the LCD PCB.
8. DETACH GREEN RIBBON - Detach the green Keypad ribbon cable from the LCD PCB. Be careful. The end of the cable can break easily. Alternate pulling up on each end to gently lift it off. DO not pull on the ribbon itself.
9. RELEASE PCB - Gently pull back the 2 plastic tabs at the top of the LCD Circuit Board. This releases the LCD Circuit Board and Display.
10. LIFT PCB OUT - Lift the end of the PCB up and out from the other two tabs in the front.
11. INSTALL NEW PCB - Insert the replacement LCD Circuit Board under the front two plastic bottom tabs and gently snap the top edge in place under the back top plastic tabs. Make sure the PCB is placed correctly between the 4 plastic posts at the corners. You should not have to press to hard to snap the PCB under the top two tabs. If you push too hard, you might crack the PCB.
12. REPLACE GREEN RIBBON - Reconnect the green Keypad ribbon cable to the LCD Circuit Board making certain that all prongs are in place. Again gently rock the connector down onto the prongs until it seats all the way down.
13. RECONNECT GRAY CABLE - Reconnect the gray ribbon cable to the LCD Circuit Board. It can only go in one way. Make sure that the other end of the gray ribbon cable is secure on the Power Circuit Board.
14. REATTACH HOUSING - Place the Housing Cover onto the Control Unit. Tuck in all wires and make sure they are not pinched. Then turn the Unit over and secure the housing to the Control Unit base with six screws.
15. REMOUNT CONTROL UNIT - Place the Control Unit back on the wall panel and secure it with four screws.
16. CHECK OPERATION - Turn the power to the Control Unit ON and check its operation. After flashing for a short time the Power On and one of the Polarity LEDs should come on. You should also see information in on the display indicating that the new LCD PCB was installed correctly.
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!