To protect your pool, keep the water clean and balanced, and enjoy a pool longer it’s necessary to use several chemicals to kill the algae bacteria on pool water. Still to ensure it is safe to swim and the chemical used is within prescribed limits, you need pool water testers. Daily testing is the recommended minimum, and digital kits are the latest thing for speed and ease of use.
Figuring out which digital kit to buy can be a problem though. Most people aren’t chemists or chemistry majors, so comparing different kits and deciding which one is best can be challenging to say the least. But don’t worry, we are here to help you!
So, what are the best digital pool testers? Here is a guide to help you through your search. Take a look at our top picks for the six best. You really can’t go wrong with any of them!
1. LaMotte ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit
Instead of having to match the color on a strip to a chart, this test kit gives you a digital readout.
Many kits involve strips that change color depending on the chemical levels in the water. Then you have to match the color, shade for shade, to a separate color chart to determine what the levels are. The difference between 0.6 and 1.0 on the chlorine is almost impossible to discern on that chart, as is the difference between pH 7.2 and 7.6. It’s practically impossible even for a person with 20/20 vision.
This kit is simplicity itself to use. You fill the vials with water from your swimming pool, then add five drops of whichever reagent you’re working with. Insert the vial into the tester and hit the button. The results are presented to you on an easy-to-read digital readout. The results are nearly as accurate as what you would get at the pool store.
The reagents have a short shelf life, but the ability to consistently get accurate results will save you a lot of pool chemicals, and consequently, a ton of money.
It even comes with a convenient carrying case. This is the testing kit you’ve been looking for.
- Features a photometer, which gives you a digital reading of test results.
- Water resistant housing and carrying case provided.
- Tests Free Chlorine, Total Chlorine, Bromine, PH, Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid.
- Uses liquid reagents for all test factors except Cyanuric Acid, which uses tablets.
2. HM Digital TDS-4 Pocket-Size TDS Tester Meter
Priced reasonably, this TDS tester meter is incredibly accurate. It comes with automatic temperature compensation to make it ideal for the big temperature swings. It is an imported tester that promises quality and reliability.
It can freeze the measurement so that you can view it conveniently by pulling it out from the water. The compact design of this tester makes it ideal to use for commercial as well as household. Overall, it is an inexpensive and easy-to-use digital tool to assist you in checking your overall water quality.
- This TDS tester is ideal for all water purification applications, wastewater regulation, aquaculture, hydroponics, and colloidal silver
- ATC (Automatic Temperature Compensation) ; Advanced microprocessor technology
- The Sleek design of the TDS-4 is perfect for personal or commercial use
- Alkaline batteries included
- Hold Function: Freeze the measurement to view it out of the water.
- Auto-off function: the meter shuts off automatically after 10 minutes of non-use to conserve batteries
3. Solaxx SafeDip Digital Pool Water
Designed to measure salt levels, pH, free chlorine, water temperature, and more, the Solaxx SafeDip is a handheld digital pool water tester that has an extra-large LCD readout and a rugged design case.
One of the reasons you should spring for a digital reader is that it gives you a more specific reading than you would get with a test strip.
With the Solaxx SafeDip Tester you don’t get a precise reading but a “low,” “good” or “high” result when testing. Which, to be honest, doesn’t make them that much better than the strips (especially when you consider the $200-250 price tag).
About a third of reviewers do love it, however, but compared to the LaMotte Color Q Pro 7 it’s outclassed as a digital pool tester.
- Large digital LCD display
- Measures pH, Salt, TDS, ORP, Temp and CL. pH probe-replaceable in seconds
- Easy push- buttons. Memory function automatically stores the previous measurement for easy comparison
- Can be used on many types of water including pools, spas and ponds
4. HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester
This is an efficient digital tester that is accurate to within 3%; hence it is suitable for any use. Its hold button gives you enough time to read and record. Also, the model runs on two button cell batteries and can provide up to 1000 hours of life in just one charge.
It is cost-efficient as the battery won’t need to be changed frequently. It is made of 100% plastic and is highly efficient owing to its advanced microprocessor technology. We like that it has an auto-off function which shuts down after ten minutes of inactivity; preserves the battery life.
It features a large and easy-to-read LCD screen. The meters are calibrated with a 342 ppm NaCl solution but can be recalibrated with a screwdriver.
- Economy model that is ideal for end-users. Highly efficient and accurate due to its advanced microprocessor technology.
- Hold Function: saves measurements for convenient reading and recording and battery life is approx. 1000 hours of usage and power source is 2 x 1.5V button cell batteries (included) (LR44 or equivalent)
- Auto-off function: the meter shuts off automatically after 10 minutes of non-use to conserve batteries. Display: large and easy-to-read LCD screen.
- Measurement Range: 0-9990 ppm. From 0-999 ppm, the resolution is in increments of 1ppm. From 1000 to 9990 ppm, the resolution is in increments of 10ppm, indicated by a blinking 'x10' image. Fun, translucent blue housing that's very strong and durable.
- TDS-EZ meters are calibrated with a 342 ppm NaCl solution. Meters can be recalibrated with a mini-screwdriver. Includes a TDS chart sticker on the back of the meter that explains TDS values.
5. pHin Digital Pool-Water Tester & Monitor
The pHin Wi-Fi-Enabled Smart Water Care Monitor is an expensive but high-quality digital pool water tester that most users love. The best thing about it is that it connects to your Wi-Fi and gives you information on your smartphone through pHin’s app. That means you can monitor your pool’s status from anywhere, whether you’re connected to your Wi-Fi or not. The pHin works with chlorine, bromine, and salt pools, so you don’t have to do anything special to make it work, no matter what kind of pool you have. It also measures your pool quality 144 times a day, so you get very accurate information about your pool’s status. Those frequent measurements give you a detailed view of how your pool is doing, so you can preempt some problems before they start, or learn how to manage your pool effectively in different seasons.
The one thing we don’t like is that this tester comes with an internal, unchangeable battery, and once it dies, you have to exchange it. If you’re a subscriber to the expensive yearly plan, you get a free new tester. If not, you’ll have to buy a new one yourself, which isn’t a great deal.
- Remote monitoring
- Bromine, salt, and chlorine-ready
- Frequent readings
- Detailed information
6. Cakie Digital pH meter
It is a high quality, durable and accurate pH digital pool water tester that comes with an LCD to show the results instantly. You can use it easily by removing the cap and immersing it in the water. The instructions to calibrate are simple to follow. It is compact and comes with a handy storage case.
The sensitive electrode sensor in this tester helps to read the accurate pH levels.
- One of the highly accurate digital pool testers
- It comes with auto temperature compensation
- One-touch button to calibrate the tester instantly
- Multipurpose usage for home, laboratory, RO system, pool, etc
- Detailed manual to guide you through
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!