This guide provides a step-by-step procedure for locating and replacing the Aquabot Classic Robotic Pool Cleaner Drive Belts. With time and use the Drive Belts may become stretched, or worn to the point where the Cleaner starts operation erratically. It may move sporadically, or not climb the wall, or not clean the entire pool floor. Note, the Drive Belts are different from the Drive Tracks. The Drive Tracks move the Cleaner along the pool floor, The Drive Belts are internal and connect the Drive Pulley off the motor shaft to the Wheel Tubes that drive the Drive Tracks.
1. BUY PARTS - If you need to replace one Drive Belt, you should replace the pair of belts. Order them ahead of time so you have them on hand when you take the cleaner apart.
2. TURN OFF POWER - Unplug the Cleaner's Power Supply from the GFCI wall outlet.
3. REMOVE DRIVE TRACKS - You only have to remove the Drive Track on the side where the power cord enters the cleaner.
4. TURN CLEANER OVER - Turn the Cleaner over on its back and place it on a towel.
5. UNLATCH BOTTOM LID ASSEMBLY - Unlatch the Bottom Lid Assembly by pushing the two latches, in the middle of the Lid, off the Lid.
6. LIFT OUT BOTTOM LID ASSEMBLY - Lift the Bottom Lid Assembly straight up our of the cleaner.
7. REMOVE WHEEL TUBE RETAINER RINGS - With a pair of needle nose pliers, remove the two retainer rings at the ends of the two Wheel Tubes.
8. NOTE CONFIGURATION -Notice how the two Drive Belts wrap around the Drive Pulley, the Stepped Sleeve Rollers, and the Wheel Tubes. Also, note that the Stepped Sleeve Rollers are reversed so that the wider step of each roller presses down on each belt.
9. REMOVE 4 SCREWS FOR SIDE PLATE - Remove the four screws that secure the Side Plate on the Drive Motor side.
10. PULL AWAY SIDE PLATE - Once the four screws are removed, the Side Plate can be pulled away from the body of the Cleaner. The Stepped Sleeve Rollers will come off with the Side Plate. The Belts, Wheel Tubes, and Drive Pulley will stay with the body.
11. REMOVE OLD FRONT DRIVE BELT - Lift the old front Drive Belt off of the Front Wheel Tube and Drive Pulley. Keep track of the plastic washer at the end of the Wheel Tube.
12. REMOVE OLD REAR DRIVE BELT - Lift the old rear Drive Belt off of the Front Wheel Tube and Drive Pulley. Watch plastic washer.
13. CHECK DRIVE PULLEY - Check that the Drive Pulley is in place. The driveshaft is slotted and has to fully engage with the motor shaft. Also, the wings on the bushing have to line up and engage with the slots in the body of the Cleaner.
14. INSTALL NEW REAR DRIVE BELT - Place the new rear Drive Belt around the back gears of the Wheel Tube and the Drive Pulley. Note: There is no difference between the rear and front Drive Belts. Make sure the teeth of the belt are pointing in so they engage with the gears. Check that the plastic washers are in front of both the Wheel Tube and the Drive Pulley.
15. INSTALL NEW FRONT DRIVE BELT - Place the new front Drive Belt around the front gears of the Wheel Hub and the Drive Pulley. Make sure the teeth of the belt are pointing in so they engage with the gears. Check that the plastic washers are in front of both the Wheel Tube and the Drive Pulley.
16. PREP SIDE PLATE - Make sure the thicker end of each Stepped Sleeve Rollers is placed as shown so that the thicker end of the Roller will press down on each belt when reassembled. There are three Bushings, one on each end and one in the middle. The end Bushings are inserted from the bottom., the middle Bushing is inserted from the top as shown.
17. ATTACH SIDE PLATE - Place the Side Plate in position. Make sure three bushings haven't dropped out and the plastic washers are in place. Also, ensure that the Stepped Sleeve Rollers are placed outside the belt loops so that they press down on the belts when assembled. You may need an extra set of hands-on this step to keep all the pieces in place.
18. CHECK REAR BELT - Make sure that the rear belt (closest to the motor) is pressing against the thicker end of the Stepped Sleeve Roller.
19. CHECK FRONT BELT - Make sure that the front belt is pressing against the thicker end of the Stepped Sleeve Roller.
20. RESTORE WHEEL TUBE RETAINER RINGS - Push the Retainer Rings back onto the ends of the Wheel Tube shafts. These are rather stiff so you might use a piece of wood to push that back on.
21. REPLACE BOTTOM LID ASSEMBLY - Insert the Bottom Lid Assembly into the body of the Cleaner. Make sure that the Bag material is tucked in so that it doesn't get pinched in the edge of the Lid or interfere with the latches.
22. LOCK IN BOTTOM LID ASSEMBLY - The latches that secure the Bottom Lid Assembly should snap in place automatically if the bag was tucked in properly.
23. REPLACE DRIVE TRACKS - Drive Track removed at the beginning of this procedure.
24. READY TO GO - Turn your Cleaner upright, place it in the water and plug it in.
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!