This guide will help you to understand how to replace a Foam Ring in the Smartpool NC22 Robotic Pool Cleaner.
Note: Although this guide features the NC22 model cleaner, these instructions can be used for replacing the Foam Ring on other models of Smartpool Robotic Pool Cleaners that use a Foam Ring.The Smartpool NC22 Robotic Pool Cleaner Foam Ring is positioned between the pair of Drive Brushes. The Ring provides additional traction to propel the Cleaner along the flat surfaces of the pool. When the Foam Ring wear down to the point where it has minimal contact with the pool surface, it has to be replace.
1. ORDER PARTS - Buy the parts you will need to have everything on hand. The only part required for this task is the Foam Ring on a Smartpool Robotic Pool Cleaner.
2. TURN CLEANER ON ITS RIGHT SIDE - To remove the Foam Ring, you will have to first remove the Drive Wheel Tube that holds the Foam Ring. Turn the Cleaner on its right side to access the left end of the Drive Wheel Tube.
3. PRY OFF VINYL CAP - The left end of the Drive Wheel tube is connected to the Drive Motor Assembly which is covered with a vinyl cap. Insert the end of a small screwdriver into the slot in the vinyl cap to pry up a side of this cap.
4. LIFT OFF VINYL CAP - Lift the vinyl cap off of the six posts holding it.
5. UNSCREW DRIVE MOTOR ASSEMBLY - To free the Drive Wheel Tube from its ends, you most first remove the Drive Motor Assembly. Remove the three screws that hold the Drive Motor Assembly to the frame of the Cleaner.
6. REMOVE DRIVE WHEEL TUBE - Lift the Drive Motor Assembly from the frame to release the other end of the Drive Wheel Tube.
7. REMOVE DRIVE MOTOR ASSEMBLY - With the Drive Wheel Tube free from the Cleaner frame, remove the Drive Motor Assembly from its end of the Tube.
8. VIEW DRIVE WHEEL TUBE - This is a picture of the end of the Drive Wheel Tube after the Drive Motor Assembly has been removed. The end of the Drive Motor Assembly is on the right.
9. LOCATE DRIVE BRUSH TABS - To access the Foam Ring, you will have to remove one of the Drive Bushes. Rotate the Drive Wheel Tube until you can see the four tabs that hold the left Drive Brush to the Tube.
10. SEPARATE TABS - Put a soapy solution on each of the four tabs. Then grab each tab with a pair of pliers and pull it off the cone end its vinyl post.
11. PULL OFF BRUSH - Pull the left Drive Brush away from the Drive Wheel Tube.
12. SOAK FOAM RING - You now have access to the Foam Ring, but you will have to soak it for a half hour to make it flexible enough to remove.
13. SLIP OFF FOAM RING - Once soaked, the Foam Ring will slide off the Drive Wheel Tube easily.
14. SOAK NEW FORM RING - As with the old Foam Ring, the new Foam Ring will be rigid until you soak it.
15. SLIP ON NEW FOAM RING - The new soaked Form Ring should slide onto the middle of the Drive Wheel Tube easily.
16. REPLACE BRUSH - Place the Drive Brush on the left side of the Drive Wheel Tube.
17. LINE UP BRUSH - Move the Drive Brush around the Tube until a slot on the Drive Brush lines up with one of the plastic tabs on the Drive Wheel Tube.
18. CONNECT TABS - Soap the vinyl tabs on the Drive Brush and pull each of the four vinyl posts through the connecting vinyl tab. Pull easy. If you pull the posts too hard, they may break off.
19. VIEW DRIVE WHEEL TUBE - This is a picture of the fully reassembled Drive Wheel Tube.
20. INSERT LEFT END OF DRIVE WHEEL TUBE - Insert the left end of the Drive Wheel Tube into the left hand bracket attached to the Cleaner frame. Note: Directions for left and right are relative to the Cleaner positioned on it back with the Drive Wheel Tube to the rear of the Cleaner.
21. INSERT DRIVE MOTOR ASSEMBLY - On the right side of the Cleaner, insert the Drive Motor Assembly into the right side of the Drive Wheel Tube. Make sure the gears line up so you can push the Assembly all the way in.
22. SECURE DRIVE MOTOR ASSEMBLY - Secure the Drive Motor Assembly with three screws.
23. REPLACE VINYL CAP - Replace the vinyl cap on the six posts at the end of the Drive Motor Assembly.
24. READY TO GO - That's it. Your Smartpool Robotic Pool Cleaner should be ready to go.
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!