Keeping your pool chemistry within the right limits provides a more enjoyable swimming experience and a longer-lasting pool. Occasionally, you may find that your pool has too much chlorine in the water. If you happen to over-chlorinate your pool, there are many simple ways to neutralize the chlorine and prevent any negative health effects.
One of the effective ways of lowering chlorine in your pool is sodium thiosulfate, also known as chlorine neutralizer. This is the product swimming pool owners tend to turn toward when they need to reduce chlorine levels. It’s fast, affordable, and doesn’t have any negative side effects. Sodium thiosulfate removes free chlorine as well as combined chlorine, also known as chloramines.
The perfect chlorine level in your pool is between 2.0-4.0 ppm (parts per million). If you’re testing several times a week, you should always find out what your levels are and adjust accordingly.
If your levels are below 2.0 ppm, your pool is not properly sanitized and you could be growing a whole host of nasty stuff in there. If the chlorine levels in your pool are above 4.0 ppm, however, it’s important that you bring those levels down within a safe range as soon as possible.
Take a look at our top picks for the 5 best Chlorine Neutralizers which will help you to maintain the correct chlorine levels in your pool:
1. Applied Biochemist AB401115 Thio-Trine Chlorine Bromine Neutralizer
Applied biochemists thio trine reduces or eliminates excessive chlorine or bromine levels. This product contains special 100% sodium thiosulfate crystals neutralize residual chlorine or bromine in pool and/or spa water. This product works quickly & effectively so you can prevent pool downtime due to excessive chlorine or bromine levels.
In addition to working in chlorine or bromine systems, this product also works with pools sanitized with biguanide. Reduce sanitizer to safer, more comfortable levels with thio trine.
- Reduces or eliminates excessive chlorine or bromine levels
- Contains special 100% sodium thiosuIfate crystals
- Works quickly and effectively
2. Leslie's Chlorine Neutralizer Reducer 3 Pounds
For use in over-chlorinated or brominated pools and spas. Retest in 30 minutes and reenter pool once levels are in ideal range. Dosage: 2.5 oz per 10,000 gallons. Dosage: 2.5 oz per 10,000 gallons.
- Chlorine and bromine neutralizer
- Reduces the chlorine or bromine levels in pools and spas
- 2.5 oz. per 10,000 gallons
- Use in over-chlorinated or brominated pools and spas
- Works in minutes, no waiting
3. Doheny's Chlorine Neutralizer
Doheny's Makes Balancing Your Pool Water Easy! Quickly reduces chlorine levels.The solution where chlorine residual levels are too high in Pools or Spas. Contains granular sodium thiosulfate.
- Quickly Reduces Chlorine Levels In Pool & Spa Water
- Helps Increase Effectiveness Of Your Other Pool Chemicals
- Contains Granular Sodium Thiosulfate
- Ideal Chlorine Levels In Swimming Pool Water Is 1-3 ppm
4. BioGuard ChemOut Chlorine Neutralizer
BioGuard ChemOut eliminates chlorine, bromine, or hydrogen peroxide deposits in pool water. This product is intended to reduce swimming downtime due to high chlorine levels. It will not affect pH levels, so there will be no readjusting necessary after use of this product. ChemOut is also great for neutralizing chlorine or bromine when converting a pool to Soft Swim. In addition, it is sometimes necessary to lower chlorine or bromine levels when treating severe metal stains and when dealing with metal problems.
- Eliminates excessive chlorine, bromine or hydrogen peroxide residual
- Dissolves instantly
- Reduces pool downtime
5. In The Swim Pool Chlorine Neutralizer
Ensure that pool water is fresh, inviting and safe for swimming with In The Swim Chlorine Neutralizer. It is uniquely designed to reduce chlorine levels when they get too high. This pool chlorine neutralizer is easy to use; just 6 oz is enough to treat up to 10,000 gal. This swimming pool supply contains granular sodium thiosulfate and starts to work as soon as it is applied. Enjoy clear and clean pool water with this handy neutralizer.
- Reduces chlorine levels immediately
- Use when chlorine concentration becomes too high
- Pool chlorine neutralizer contains granular sodium thiosulfate
- Initial dosage: 6 oz per 10,000 gal
- Very simple to use
- Works instantly on application
- Enmake that pool water is safe and ready for everyone to enjoy
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!