In neglected cases, the owners of pools are forced to deal with such unpleasant problem as algae, whose spores are constantly carried by the wind.
To kill algae and prevent them from reoccurring again, you need to use the most effective chemistry. Algaecides for spas and pools are used to assist you to eliminate not only algae but also small plant-like organisms which develop in your swimming pool.
This article reviews the 8 best algaecides:
1. Clorox Pool&Spa 33506CLX Pool Shock XtraBlue (6 1-lb Bags), 6 Pack, White
Enjoying your beautiful pool just got easier with the convenience and power of Shock XtraBlue. Other pool shocks stop at clearing a cloudy pool, but Clorox Pool&Spa Shock XtraBlue goes beyond other shocks to keep your water beautiful and swim-ready all season. The fast dissolving pool shock formula not only removes the bacteria and contaminants that can cause cloudy water, Shock XtraBlue also helps control algae growth including common green algae, slimy mustard algae, and stubborn black algae. It works this hard for you without bleaching your liner or affecting pH like other brands of pool shock. Use Shock XtraBlue as part of your weekly maintenance for sparkling, crystal clear water all season long.
- Multi-functional pool shock with algae-fighting crystals
- Creates crystal clear water
- Kills and prevents green, black and mustard pool algae
- Kills bacteria
- Improves filter performance
- Swim-ready in 15 minutes
- Reduces chlorine odor and eye irritation
- Won't impact pH
2. SeaKlear 90-Day Algae Prevention & Remover, 1 Qt
Don't be held hostage by a pool filled with algae anymore. SeaKlear Algae Prevention & Remover is a simple, safe and hassle-free formula that eliminates existing algae from your pool and prevents it from growing back, saving you time and money.**What makes SeaKlear unique?**For starters, rather than having to dose your pool each and every week, you can instead rely on the effectiveness of this product which only needs to be applied every three months. The formula will combat a variety of algae types, including blue-green, black and mustard. Despite the power and reliability of the copper-based formulation of SeaKlear 90 Day Algae Prevention & Remover, it won?t leave behind unsightly stains.
- Reliable & Effective
- 90-days no algae guarantee (when used according to instructions in balanced pool water)
- Kills and prevents blue-green, green, yellow and black algae
- Non-foaming, non-staining (when used according to instructions in balanced pool water)
- 11.8% Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate; 3% Copper as elemental
- Effective against blue-green, black and mustard algae
- Nonstaining formula
- Each treatment will last three months
- Use 16 fluid ounce 10000-gallon of pool water to prevent algae growth in all pool types
- For severe algae treatment use 32 fluid ounce per 10000-gallon of pool water
3. Pool RX 101001 6 Month Algaecide Blue Treats 7.5k-20k gallons, Single, Unit
PoolRx eliminates existing algae fast and prevents algae from coming back. The chelated minerals free up low levels of chlorine to be more productive in the water, providing amazing clarity. The minerals dissolve out of the unit completely and immediately to form a stable residual throughout the entire body of water. As the minerals pass over the PoolRx unit during circulation, they are rejuvenated to last longer. The minerals are used up through algae kill, backwashing, splash out and filter cleanings. For longer season, larger pools, extreme conditions or green pools, you can add PoolRx booster minerals when needed. Replace the PoolRx unit at the beginning of each season for best results. PoolRx is ideal to use with Chlorine, Salt, UV or Ozone systems. Supporting any size body of water, PoolRx is perfect for both Residential and Commercial use.
- 6 month algaecide
- Eliminates all types of algae
- Reduces chemical demand
- Effective for up to 6 months
- Simplifies pool Care
- Also Ideal for Salt Pools
4. Clorox Pool&Spa 43128CLX 42128CLX Pool Algaecide
Being one step ahead of algae is crucial because as algae grows, chlorine must work harder to keep your pool clean. Use as a preventative pool algaecide weekly to keep algae at bay and your water crystal clear. Always apply chemicals according to label directions. Circulating pool water when applying chemicals helps disperse chemicals throughout the pool for maximum coverage."
- Prevents and treats pool algae
- Built in clarifier
- Non-foaming formula
- Suitable for all pool types
5. McGrayel Algatec 10064 Super Algaecide for Green, Yellow and Black Algae, 64-Ounce
Algatec is a synergistic algaecide, water clarifier and chlorine booster for all types of swimming pools. Algatec helps improve water quality and swimmer comfort in swimming pools, spas and hot tubs.
As an algaecide, Algatec kills green and yellow algae in 4 to 24 hours and eradicates black algae (fungus) in 7 to 10 days. Algatec also strongly prevents algae growths in swimming pools. Algatec’s clarifiers flocculant to create ultra-clear water in swimming pools.
Its strong synergy with swimming pool, spas and hot tub sanitizers helps boosts chlorine and bromine effectiveness up to 600% while reducing sanitizer usage between 25% to 65%. Algatec is compatible with all salt cell systems and helps improve salt cell performance
- Will not interfere with pool water pH, or sanitizer levels and can swim immediately after treatment
- Kills rather than starves algae and prevents algae regrowth due to biostatic inhibitors
- Kills most algae in 8 to 24 hours; black algae in 7 to 10 days
- Salt pool friendly Formula contains no metals, bromides, or quats; Works synergistically with chlorine for fast cleanup
- Super-clarifics pool water during cleanup function
6. Kem-Tek KTK-50-0006 Pool and Spa 60-Percent Concentrated Algaecide, 1 Quart
This is one of the best algaecides for green pool and it removes all kinds of algae and prevents them from re-developing in the future. It is ideal for both the spa and pool and is 60% conc to ensure that it gets rid of algae faster.
Another feature of this product is the safe non-foaming formula that works effectively for your pool without causing any form of damage. Actually, this product is able to provide you with the clarity that you can ever dream off in your pool.
The other feature of this algaecide is its ability to last longer than most brands out there. This is made possible because it doesn’t disperse easily when you apply it into your pool. This feature also makes it a great product for preventing the re-development of algae.
Another thing about this product is that it kills another organism in your pool, making it free of all contaminants. It is also ideal for saltwater pools and is very affordable.
- Safe with all pool and filter types
- Helps clarify pool water
- Long lasting algaecide
- Non- foaming algaecide
- For treatment and prevention
7. In The Swim Super Pool Algaecide
In the Swim’s Super Pool Algaecide lives up to its name. This product is super concentrated and super powerful when it comes to knocking out all types of algae in all types of water.
The active ingredient in this algaecide is copper, which has proven to be a quick and powerful agent for killing algae spores and preventing growth. This same ingredient does make it unsafe for drinking or well water however, so just make sure you’re only using it where you swim!
- Provides superior algae-fighting power with long lasting effects
- Safe enough to swim directly after use
- Contains 7.1% Chelated Copper (chelated to protect from staining)
- Non-foaming formula, with no odor
8. HTH Super Algae Guard Swimming Pool Algaecide Cleanser
The HTH super algaecide cleanser is formulated with the best compound to prevent stubborn green algae and bacteria growth in your pools.
The product can be applied directly to your pool, either vinyl liner or saltwater pool, without any side effect. It offers the most efficient way of cleaning your pool and keep it crystal clear and fresh for comfortable swimming. In 15 minutes of application, your pool will be ready to be used.
The product is formulated with the consumer in mind, offering both an economical, affordable, and powerful chemical to clean even the toughest stains in your pool.
Powerful surface cleaner and clarifiers apply one-quarter of this product in your pool and see how it flushes all impurities and algae.
- Kills all types of algae and prevents future algae blooms in your swimming pool for up to 3 months so you can get back to enjoying your summertime fun
- Apply directly to the pool regularly for easy DIY pool care; For best results, use with other HTH pool care products
- Great for a variety of swimming pool types, including saltwater systems
- Non-foaming algaecide formula destroys algae fast for crystal clear water; Swim almost immediately after applying algaecide to your pool
- Includes one 1-qt container of Ultimate Algae Guard for your swimming pool water
- Power Source Type: Manual
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!