When the weather gets hot, there's nothing quite as refreshing as a dip in the pool. As you're probably aware, in-ground swimming pools are expensive to install and maintain. Above-ground pools, however, are an affordable alternative. They're also much easier to set up and can be just as fun as their in-ground counterparts.
Far more budget-friendly than their in-ground counterparts, above-ground pools just require a few steps for setup. Plus, they can be taken down and stored when pool season ends.
If you're wondering what is the best above-ground pool for you, the answer depends on what you're looking for. Available in different sizes, shapes, and materials, it's easy to find a top-rated above-ground pool that not only fits your yard but also fits within your budget, too. Assembled below are the 7 best pools we found. Read on for some above ground pool reviews!
1. Intex 15ft X 48in Above Ground Pool
The spacious, durable, and affordable Intex 15ft X 48in Metal Frame Pool Set features everything you need to get started. It’s an easy-to-assemble set made of rust-resistant stainless steel.
A filter and pump mean you’ll be able to use the pool safely right away once it’s been set up. The pump even features new “hydro aeration” technology that keeps the water clearer than ever before. It’s the perfect option for buyers looking for a reasonably priced above ground pool that will last more than a few seasons.
One area of concern pertains to the pool liner. The elegant soft blue pattern looks very nice at first, but fades quite quickly—often just months after the point of purchase. This issue does not affect the performance of the pool, but does deteriorate its appearance.
- Triple strong, Super-Tough laminated sidewalls are reinforced with an all-around band to keep frame legs firmly in Place
- Ready for water in 45 minutes, - Follow the Instructional DVD for easy set up, and enjoy the fun! water capacity: (90%) 4, 440 gallons
- Includes: Krystal clear cartridge filter pump 1, 000 GPH (110 - 120V). ladder. Ground cloth. Debris cover. 3-ply material
- Set-up and maintenance DVD. Convenient drain plug that connects to a garden hose so water can be drained away from pool or house area
- New dual suction outlet fittings improve water circulation resulting in better water hygiene and clarity
- Do not set up the pool on sand, mud or any soft or loose soil conditions
2. Intex 18' x 52" Ultra XTR Frame Round Pool
With a durable liner, sand filter pump, removable ladder, and pool cover, this round above-ground pool has all the bells and whistles. It's available in 18-foot, 20-foot, or 24-foot sizes, meaning it'll fit nicely in a range of yards. This one comes with a sand filter pump, pool vacuum, and a ladder.
- 20ft diameter and 4ft deep (610cm x 122cm) using the latest in swimming pool design technology
- Supplied with Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump with Hydro Aeration Technology. Note no sand is included. Intex Glass Filtration Media available on Amazon
- Safety ladder included with easily removable steps (Max load 136KG). When the pool is not in use they can quickly be detached and removed from the pool area. Ground cloth and pool cover included
- Water content at 90% fill: 30,079 litres
- Please read the product description to see the remarkable benefits of Intex's XTR system.
3. Intex Rectangular Pool Set
If you have a fluid budget and you’re looking for the best above-ground pool in its class, the Intext XTR is a strong contender well worth a place on your shortlist.
If you feel a rectangular pool would work, make sure you have the space to accommodate this pool. It measures up at 32 feet x 16 feet, and it’s 52 inches deep. This should give you ample depth for most purposes.
Now, you’ll need to spend some time pre-installation making certain the ground is level. This could take a few hours. From here, you can expect to have the pool up and ready for water in a couple of hours. This, of course, depends on your skill level. That said, the Easy Lock System has push buttons enabling you to easily snap the frame together.
The steel frame is powder-coated for added strength. You get a robust structure that’s built to stay the distance without rusting out.
The liner is equally durable and puncture-resistant giving you the confidence that this pool will give you years of faithful service.
This iteration of the Intex comes with a sand filter pump as well as a saltwater system giving you the opportunity to keep your water crisp and clear without relying on chlorine.
- Ground cloth
- Rust-resistant frame
- Spacious dimensions
4. Bestway Power Steel 13' x 42" Round Above Ground Pool Set with Canopy
At 13 feet in diameter and 42 inches deep, this above-ground pool with a solid steel frame is roomy enough for friends. Our favorite part? The removable canopy provides a space to cool off from the sun on hot summer days. The above-ground pool also comes with a cover to help keep out debris when not in use and boasts an easy, tool-free setup and take-down process, so you can safely store it during winter months.
- Size: 13 ft. x 42 in. (3.96 m x 1.07 m)
- Water Capacity (90%): 2,941 gal. (11,133 L)
- 530 gal. (2,006 L) filter pump included
- Includes a canopy for shade from the sun
- Easy, no-tool setup and takedown process
5. Intex Metal Frame Pool Set
This Intex 12ft x 30in metal frame above ground pool is perfect for those who want a pool that’s easy to transport, set up – and easy on the wallet. The downside is that the walls are made from laminated, puncture-proof 3-ply PVC material. The corrosion resistant steel siding does help with support, though.
The included filter pump certainly isn’t heavy-duty (530 gph, or gallons per hour) and you may want to replace it with a more robust model that you can run for extended periods, as well as a better ladder. It’s a sturdy and functional unit for the money, though, particularly if it’s mainly being used for children to splash around in. The standard model is a 12×30, but the manufacturer also offers larger models if your family calls for something bigger.
- Easy to use: an affordable pool that is an alternative to more complicated steel walled pools, and a more durable alternative to inflatable models. Easy to assemble, ready for water in just 30 minutes
- Water circulation: dual suction outlet fittings improve water circulation resulting in better water hygiene and clarity. This pool has a 1,718 gallon capacity
- Pump and filter included: included 530-gallon-per-hour filter pump helps keep your water sparkling clean; Filter is equipped with the Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, which is an added safety feature that shuts off the pump if electrical current is exposed to water; Includes 1 type "A" filter cartridge
- Durability: the wall PVC material is Intex's SUPER-TOUGH, high-molecular PVC which is highly resistant to damage from abrasion, impact, and sunlight
- Specifications: capacity: 1,718 gallons; Dimensions (L x W x H): 144 x 144 x 30 inches; Weight: 55 pounds; Disclaimer: Please review your HOA rules and restrictions before purchasing this product
6. Bestway Steel Pro Frame Pool Set
Consider this one if no one would typically characterize you as handy. A corrosion-resistant steel frame and puncture-resistant three-ply liner hold this above-ground pool together, and the included filter pump helps keep the water looking crystal clear. The best part? No tools are required in the set up.
- Heavy-duty PVC and polyester 3-ply side walls
- 3-ply band provides additional wall support
- Includes 330 gallon filter pump
- All pools come with a free DVD detailing pool set-up and maintenance
- Easy set up
7. Coleman Power Steel Swim Vista Series II Swimming Pool
The best above-ground pool with a steel frame is the Coleman Power Steel Vista Series II. It's 216 inches (18 feet) in diameter and 48 inches deep with an impressive 6,100-gallon capacity. This pool is very easy to set up and take down—no tools are needed. The exterior has a rattan print, and the interior walls have a tile design, making it an attractive addition to your yard.
As for the frame, reinforced portholes are built into the walls, and corrosion-resistant steel secures the whole thing together. Made of puncture-resistant Tritech, the outer liner is notably tough too.
- Size: 18 ft. x 48 in. (5.49 m x 1.22 m); Water Capacity (90%): 6,092 gal. (23,062 L)
- Reinforced, fortified portholes built into the sidewalls to offer a truly unique swimming experience
- Corrosion resistant steel frame is held together with our Seal & Lock System to provide remarkable strength and connection
- Natural-looking rattan wicker print on the outside liner, with unique tile print on the inside liner; Tritech enhanced 3-ply liner is durable and puncture-resistant
- Easy, no-tool setup and takedown process
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!