While the pool is definitely an enjoyable way to beat the summer heat, it can be kind of stressful to have small children swimming, so you need to keep a very vigilant eye on them to make sure they're OK. The following guide will help lot of parents ensure their children have a safe swimming.
There are plenty of flotation devices, to keep babies, toddlers and young children safe in the water. This equipment needs to be used in addition to adult supervision though – non-swimmers should never be left unsupervised around water.
It’s important to always choose the right size of swimming aid, as many are weight dependent. And make sure you read about the amount of support they provide as some may only be appropriate for those that are already confident in the water. Therefore, here we want to the answer the question of what are the best swim aids for kids. To make things easier for you, we’ve rounded up the 5 best:
1. Speedo Kids' Begin to Swim Vinyl Basic Arm Bands
Water Confidence These products provide the tools to build confidence for a child already familiar with the water and learning to swim. One Size: Ages 2-12 years / Max. Weight: 110 lbs. Dual chamber heavy duty inflatable arm band for added safety and durability. Soft polyester material provides added comfort. High visibility, bright inner fabric for increased pool safety.
- Dual-chamber heavy-duty vinyl inflatable arm band for added safety and durability
- Updated kid-friendly shape for comfort and mobility
- Great for helping young swimmers build confidence in the water
- High visibility, bright inner fabric for increased pool safety
- One size: 2-12 years, max weight 110 pounds
2. Chriffer Kids Swim Vest for 30-50 Pounds Boys and Girls, Toddler Floats with Shoulder Harness Arm Wings for 2,3,4,5,6,7 Years Old
It is one of the most popular means of swim floatation for toddlers. It’s comfortable to wear and doesn’t get in the way of learning to swim, but does a good job of adding extra buoyancy when it’s needed.
This compact vest has two arm bands and a chest panel; simply slip the arms through the bands then fasten the strap at the back, and it’s all ready to go. The strap makes it quite adjustable and there shouldn’t be any trouble fitting it securely for 20-66 lbs children.
Moreover, as many parents will attest, it’s an excellent value and we can almost guarantee you won’t have any regrets buying it.
- Suitable for 20 - 66 lbs .
- Colorful and lovely style add more joy to you.
- Gives beginners more freedom and confidence.
- Material: Made of woven polyester, soft nylon fabrics.
3. Zoggs Kids' Dc Super Heroes Superman Swimming Kickboard Float
These kick boards made specifically for kids who learning to find their way in the water.
These kickboards are made of durable EVA foam and come in a “junior” size, making them about 2/3 of the size of a regular kickboard. The Zoggs kickboards are recommended for children between the ages of 3-12 years.
- Durable high density EVA foam construction
- Designed to improve kick technique and build strength
- Suitable for competent swimmers aged 3-12 years
- An ideal training aid for young swimmers who want to improve their technique
- Junior size: 35cm x 26.5cm / 13.78" x 10"
4. Swim Tube Trainer
The next flotation device is the Learn To Swim: Swim Tube Trainer. This one is a dependable, yet easy-to-use swimming aid, which has a strong rubber air-filled tube encased in brightly colored nylon. It also allows for freedom of movement, allowing your child to float in an upright or swimming position on his or her front or back.
However, unlike the others, the Tube Trainer has a tank-top design with bottom security strap and is made for the ages of 3 to 6 years. The only color I have seen this one in unfortunately is orange though, so that may be a negative for some kids on this one
- Dependable, easy-to-use swimming aid for building confidence in beginner swimmers
- Tube design allows freedom of movement and permits child to float upright or in swimming position
- Heavy-duty 20-gauge vinyl tube is built into a soft, polyester Orange swim suit that features tank top design with adjustable strap for comfort fit
- UPF 50 added for sun protection
- Fits children 34"-40" in height and 27 to 35 pounds, approximately
- Recommended for ages 3 - 6 years
- NOTE: Please read the User Manual which is available under Technical Specification for your reference.
5. BigMouth Inc Giant Sparkling Unicorn Pool Float
Looking for something to lounge on at the pool? Here’s our favorite swimming aid for big kids (and adults).
Although the manufacturer lists the recommended age as “12 months and up”, this bad boy is for kids who are comfortable in the water, and for adults who want to lounge in the backyard pool or at the lake.
After all, who doesn’t want to ride a unicorn?
- Big Mouth Float Unicorn Glitter
- UV fade-resistant vinyl that sparkles in sunlight
- Standard-size air valve
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!