If you own an above ground pool, you need to ensure its proper maintenance and cleanliness. Without having the best above ground pool pump, its quiet impossible to keep your pool in good condition.
Investing in the best above-ground pool pump will dramatically improve the overall quality of the water in your pool. By circulating and also filtering your water, a good pump gets the water moving around the pool evenly, and it also ensures your water stays free of debris and germs.
Overlook this area of pool maintenance and it’s only a matter of time until the water becomes unappetizing and stagnant. Why allow that to happen?
A pool pump is a simple but effective piece of equipment but choosing the right pool pump means knowing the gallons per hour you’ll need to pump in order for your pool to be cleaned in 8 hours. To do this, you’ll need to divide the number of gallons your pool holds by 8.
Why is this important to do? Because when you look at the public negative reviews for pool pumps, most of them are because of being “ineffective.” Pool pumps are ineffective because they are undersized for the size of the pool they are pumping. Find the right size of pump based on your flow rate.
Today, then, we’re here to make your life as easy as possible on the buying trail. To kick off, we’ll highlight the top 5 pool pumps in this class. This will allow you to accurately assess the market and determine which pumps look like the smoothest fit for your above-ground pool.
1. Intex 26645EG Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 12-inch
If you’re new to home swimming pools, you’ll quickly become aware of the dominance of this brand, and this pump shows precisely why they excel.
The Krystal Clear line of pumps come in a range of configurations to suit all above-ground pools. This is part of a sand filter system, giving you a low-maintenance approach to purifying your pool water.
- 110-120V 2,100 GPH Sand Filter Pump
- System flow rate of 1,600 GPH
- 6 function control - enables pool owner to filter, backwash, rinse, recirculate, drain & close system
- 24 hour automatic timer
- GFCI unit safety shutoff
2. Harris ProForce Above Ground Pool Pump
The Harris ProForce 1.5 HP Above Ground Pool Pump is the best overall pool pump for above ground pools. It’s made well and is extremely durable, so you should expect years of service out of this model. It’s also well-engineered, so it’s not as noisy as other pool pumps of a similar size. That’s an especially good thing given that many pool pumps live near the above ground pools they’re powering, so the noise won’t affect the fun. This model is also energy efficient, so you can run it without worrying about running your bill up too high.
It also comes with a filter basket which is easy to access, and easy to clean, making this model a good deal for those who want to do preventative maintenance and keep their pool clean.
- Double size seal for long motor life.
- Internal threading is 1.5 inch and External threading is 2.5 inch.
- Clear cover, easy-to-clean filter basket, and convenient drain plug.
- Meets All CSA & ETL Requirements
- Dependable Performance
3. Hayward Above Ground Pool Pump
Everything regarding this swimming pool pump is durable and quality. For example, the filter is one of the best in the market and traps all the bad stuff from the pool. You can, therefore, rely on this efficient pool pump to deliver the best service to keep your pool clean and sanitary.
Apart from durability, the strainer basket is the industrial size and will collect a significant amount of debris and dirt from the pool without the need for maintenance. You take some time before you can embark on cleaning the strainer as well as the basket.
The machine has a robust and reliable impeller. Furthermore, the wide openings on the impeller prevent instances of clogging by the leaves and debris.
And thanks to a protected switch at the back, the pump is energy-efficient. Therefore, you will not need to complain about the high cost of energy. You should be able to keep the pool clean without having to spend so much on electricity.
The thermal overload protector on the motor makes it quite efficient and maintenance-free. Furthermore, the pump will not give you any trouble at all. The thermal overload switches the system off to prevent the development of significant problems that may damage the motor. It restarts automatically when the issue passes.
- Weighted Energy Factor (WEF) for 1.0 Total HP = 3.4 and 1.5 Total HP = 3.5 WEF. The higher the WEF, the more efficient the pump. Learn more about WEF here.
- Superior pump efficiency meets Department of Energy (DOE) regulations
- High-performance motor includes an integrated automatic thermal overload protector
- Horizontal/vertical discharge converts pump orientation with the push of a button
- Quick-connect port provides fast access to pump intake and discharge
- Easy-remove strainer uses a C-Clip Connector to disengage in seconds
- Corrosion-proof housing stands up to both pool water and outdoor wear
4. Best Choice Products. Above Ground Swimming Pool Pump 10000GAL
This filter pool pump drum holds a remarkable 43 pounds of sand. Not only do you not need to worry about this product going anywhere once installed, but you won’t have to worry about your water not being properly filtered either. Hooking up the hoses for this particular pool pump may be difficult for some pools – especially the Intex brand – but otherwise all we saw was crystal clear water once we figured out what needed to be done for assembly. Be prepared – instructions may or may not come, but the time investment was worthwhile.
- ETL-listed mark, proving your product has been independently tested and meets the applicable published safety standard as well as being CSA certified
- For above-ground pools up to 10,000 gallons
- Features a system tray, 4-way valve, connection hose, pressure gauge, and a 3-prong plug with an electric cable
- The pump is thermal protected and a strainer basket is included
- Overall Dimensions: 23.5”(H) x 13"(W)
5. Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Pump
The Intex 28633 Krystal Clear is a good choice for those looking for a very inexpensive pump. It comes with an automatic timer which allows you to set times for cleanings and leave it alone. That way, your pool will remain clear and clean without a lot of work on your part. The filters are also cartridge-based, which makes it easy to clean them off and replace them when they wear out. Since you can get this model for a fraction of the price of the other models on our list, this model is the best overall value for the money.
However, it does have some problems which keep it out of the top three. Different units ship with different degrees of durability. Some last for years, others conk out after months or weeks. If Intex could sort out the issues and deliver a more consistently-reliable pump, then we’d certainly rate it higher. It also doesn’t include the fittings you need to connect it to a pool, which is no problem if you’re replacing a pump, but a pain if it’s your first. Overall, it’s good value for the money, but it’s not the right model for everyone.
- Easy to use - simply replace the old cartridge with a new one every two weeks, Double insulated pump
- The number on the actual item seen in the image is 637R, is the component part number that corresponds to the individual part for the system and this does not pertain to the model # 56637EG.
- Air release valve for air trapped inside filter chamber.we do not suggest operating the pump for more than 8 hours per day
- Suitable for Intex pools up to 6,000 gal with 1.25in (32mm) diameter hose fitting
- Works with 15-feet Easy Set, 15-feet Metal Frame, or 18-feet by 10-feet Oval Frame pools. the hoses are 1-1/4 so if you need 1-1/2 you need an adapter.
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!