How To Shock My Hot Tub?

A spa shock is an oxidizer that's used to remove organic contaminants from hot tub water. When activated, it releases electrons, which cause the contaminants to quickly dissolve.

Today we are going to talk about shocking a spa or hot tub. In this guide, we'll answer different common questions connected with spa or hot tub shock. A shocking topic to be sure!


What is Hot tub Shock?

A hot tub shock is made from a type of oxidizer, which is usually a liquid chlorine or non-chlorine potassium sulfate bath salts. When used with an Aqua Silk system, the shock is made of liquid hydrogen.


Why do I need to shock a hot tub?

There are 3 main reasons to shock a spa: 1. To destroy excessive contaminants in a hot tub after use by several people, 2. To reactivate bromide ions into active bromine, and 3. To kill algae, bacteria, viruses and pathogens that may escape your normal daily sanitation chemical.


How to shock a spa with bromine?

A simple trick question: You don't shock a spa with bromine. Instead, bromine shock is when bromide is added to a pool to boost its bromine bank. This is done by using chlorine granules or MPS.


How to shock a spa with chlorine?

Chlorine Granules are available in various concentrations and strengths, so they are best used according to the label instructions.

Ideally, the shock should be placed in a balanced pH range and then connected to a circulation pump. After about 30 minutes, remove the cover and allow the pool to empty.


How to shock a spa with bleach?

Although regular household bleach can be used in a spa, the pH level may go up due to its high pH. This makes it easier to use non-chlorine shock or dichlorine granules.

The amount of chlorine in the water will determine the proper concentration. However, for a 300 gallon spa, 1 cup of 5% bleach will raise the concentration to 10 ppm.


How to shock a spa with non-chlorine shock?

Chlorine free shock is a commonly used product for treating spa conditions. It dissolves quickly and is powerful enough to be used in hot tubs and spas. Follow the dosage instructions to ensure its effectiveness.

When used with a 300 gallon spa, a non-chlorine shock can be shock-impregnated with a small amount of water to broadcast over the water surface.


Is Hot Tub Shock Dangerous?

Spa Shocks are very dangerous, especially if they are mixed with other chemicals. They can produce noxious fumes and cause fires.

Spa shock can be extremely hazardous and should be stored in a dry location away from children. Overdosing with shock can cause severe damage to the finish and the spa cover.

Follow the label instructions carefully and keep your spa oxidizers clean. Be safe with spa shock!


 If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!

Leave a comment