Part 3. This guide shows you how to install the Bottom Rail and its connecting structure. This process includes connecting and leveling the Curved Side Bottom Rails and Plates, submerging the Straight Side Upright Channels, leveling and squaring the Straight Side Uprights and installing the Pressure Plates. We suggest that you review the previous parts of this series before reading this section. Also, these instructions may vary according to your pool model so consult your owner's manual for any variations.
1. SORT OUT BOTTOM RAILS - Separate the Bottom Rails from the hardware packages. There are three different lenghts. They are color coded by length. The orange tagged Corner Bottom Rails provide the transition pieces between the Straight Side Bottom Rails, and the Curved Side Bottom rails. The Straight Side Bottom Rails are used between the Straight Side Upright Assemblies. The Curved Side Bottom Rails are the longest and are used on the ends of the pool. If your pool has resin bottom rails, make sure you use those and not the steel stabilizer rails which are used on the top of the pool.
2. SORT OUT BOTTOM PLATES - The Curved Side Bottom Plates connect the Bottom Rails to the Curved Side Uprights. Most of these Plates are steel but some are Resin. Both assembled the same way.
3. ATTACH BOTTOM RAILS - Slide each Curved Side Bottom Rail into a Bottom Plate up to the dimple as shown.
4. INSTALL STRAIGHT SIDE BOTTOM RAILS - Install the Straight Side Bottom Rails by placing them into the Straight Side Bottom Rail Connectors and pushing them down. This will establish the proper spacing between the Straight Side Uprights.
5. ALIGN STRAIGHT SIDE UPRIGHTS - To insure that the Uprights are all in line with each other, measure the distance of each from the house wall or alone a string stretched out along the straight side.
6. CHECK CHANNEL SPACING - Measure the distance between the Strap End Channels. The center of each Channel should be 42" from each of its adjacent Channels.
7. CHECK SQUARE - Measure the distance from the end Upright on one end to the end Upright diagonally across from the first Upright. Then measure the distance between the two Uprights on the other diagonal. If they are not the same, the Uprights as laid out are not square. Shift one side of Uprights left or right until the diagonal measurements are the same.
8. RECHECK LEVEL - Using the transit, recheck the height of each Upright to make sure they are still within an inch of each other.
9. REMOVE STRAIGHT SIDE BOTTOM RAILS - Temporarily remove the Straight side Bottom Rails so you can drop the Channels to make them flush with the site surface.
10. MARK LOCATION OF CHANNELS - Mark along the sides and ends of each Upright Channel so you know where to dig.
11. DIG 2" SLOTS FOR CHANNELS - Dig a hole 2" deep under each Channel so the Channels will be flush with the site surface.
12. PLACE CHANNEL IN SLOTS - Place each of the Upright Channels into the slots and make sure they are flush with the site surface.
13. CHECK LEVEL - Make sure each Upright is level using a Carpenter's Level.
14. CLEAN SURFACE - Clean up and level the surface between the Uprights.
15. REPLACE UPRIGHTS - Replace the Straight Side Bottom Rails so they are flush with the site surface.
16. LEVEL GROUND BETWEEN CHANNELS - Clean and level the surface between the Upright Channels so the Pressure Plates will lay flat on the ground.
17. LAY OUT PLATES - Lay out a Pressure Plate over each Channel so that their holes line up with the holes in each Channel.
18. SECURE PLATES - Secure Pressure Plates to Channels using two #12 screws each.
19. CONNECT PLATES - Connect the Pressure Plates to each other with three #12 screws at the place where they overlap.
20. VIEW ASSEMBLED PLATES - This is a view of the Pressure Plates assembled on one straight side of the oval pool floor.
21. RECHECK SQUARE - Measure the diagonals between the Uprights to make sure they are square. Make any necessary adjustments.
22. PLACE PATIO BLOCKS - Dig under the outside end of each Channel and place a Patio Block under the end of each Channel.
23. CHECK BLOCK LEVEL - Using a level, make sure the block is level in all direction and that the Channel sits flat on the block.
24. RECHECK UPRIGHT LEVEL - Make sure the Uprights are all level.
25. BACKFILL OVER BLOCKS - Fill over each of the Patio Blocks and Channel ends until they are completely covered.
26. GO TO NEXT PART - At this point you have all the the base structure assembled and are almost ready to erect the Wall. But first you must prepare the initial sand base inside the pool. For the next set of instructions on installing an Above Ground Oval Pool, go to "PART 4 - PREPARING BASE".
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!