This guide explains you where the Laterals in your Pentair Triton 2 Side Valve Sand Filter are, and how to check and replace them.The Laterals on any sand filter are the 8-10 plastic tube at the bottom of most sand filters. The Laterals act as sieves to keep the sand from entering the pool water as it is filtered through the sand. See our guide on "How a Multiport Valve Works" for more information on Laterals work. If you are getting sand in your pool or your filter is not filtering as well as it did, it may be time to remove your filter's sand and look at your filter's Laterals to see if they are damaged.
1. ORDER PARTS - The Pentair Triton 2 Side Valve Sand Filter has 8 Laterals. I would order 4 laterals to have on hand when you shut down the filter and remove the sand to access the laterals. You could wait until you see how many Laterals you really need, but your system would be down while you order parts. Or check with your local pool store to see if they have your Laterals on hand. Note that the length of the Laterals varies with the size of the filter tank. See "Things You'll Need" above.
2. REMOVE SAND - To access the Laterals in your filter, you will have to remove all the sand in the filter.
3. VIEW LATERAL ASSEMBLY - The Laterals are screwed into a Hub at the base of the Lower Piping Assembly. This picture shows a 4 of the required 8 Laterals attached to the Hub.
4. VIEW INSTALLED LATERALS - This is a picture of the Laterals installed at the base of the filter tank.
5. REMOVE LATERALS- After the sand has been cleared away from the Laterals, remove each of the Laterals by unscrewing them from the Hub in a counter-clockwise direction. Note: for this filter the Laterals are screwed in. For other filters they may snap in. Read the installation instructions for your filter to see how your filter Laterals are attached.
6. INSPECT LATERALS - Look at each of the eight Laterals for breaks in the screening that would allow sand to pass.
7. REPLACE LATERALS - Replace the laterals by screwing each Lateral into the Hub at the base of the Lower Piping Assembly.
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!