This guide will help you to inspect and replace your Diverter Valve O-rings. There are three O-rings in a typical Diverter Valve: the valve cover O-ring and two Shaft O-rings. With time these O-rings become brittle and crack. Damaged O-rings on the suction side of the pump will let air into the system. Damaged O-rings on the discharge side of the pump will squirt water. These O-rings should be checked periodically and replaced if necessary.
1. BUY PARTS - Buy the replacement parts ahead of time so you will have them on hand when you need them. To replace the Valve Cover O-ring and two Shaft O-rings you will need to purchase either the Generic Jandy Neverlub 2 or 3 Port Valve Kit - APCK1166 (shown here) or the Aladdin GOKIT72.
2. TURN OFF PUMP - Turn off power to the pool pump. For maximum safety turn off the power at the circuit breaker to the pump.
3. RELIEVE PRESSURE - Relieve the pressure in the lines by turning the relief valve on top of your filter counter-clockwise. You should see the pressure reading on the filter pressure gauge go to 0.
4. REMOVE HANDLE LOCK KNOB - Twist the Handle Lock Knob in a counter-clockwise direction to remove it from the Diverter Shaft.
5. REMOVE HANDLE - Lift the Handle off of the Valve Shaft.
6. NOTE POSITION OF "INLET" LABEL - Note the position of the "INLET" label on the valve cover. "INLET" is positioned over the Valve's common port. When you replace this cover, you will place it with the "INLET" label over the same port.
7. REMOVE 8 COVER SCREWS - Remove the 8 screws from the valve cover to remove the cover.
8. PRY OFF VALVE COVER - With the screws removed, you may have to use a small screwdriver or chisel to gently loosen the Cover from the Valve Housing.
9. LIFT OUT VALVE ASSEMBLY - With the Cover loosened, you should be able to lift the Valve Assembly out of the Valve Housing.
10. NOTE POSITION OF DIVERTER - Note the position of the Diverter Paddle relative to the "INLET" label on the Valve Cover. You will want to place the new Diverter in this position when you reassemble the Valve. The small slot on the shaft is 90 degrees counter-clockwise from the "INLET" port.
11. PUSH OUT DIVERTER - Push the Shaft of the Valve Assembly down out of the Valve Cover.
12. REMOVE COVER O-RING -Take the larger O-ring off of the edge of the Valve Cover. Inspect the O-ring for wear or other damage.
13. CLEAN VALVE COVER - Take off any grease or debris on the valve cover with special attention to the edge where the O-ring is set.
14. CLEAN OUT COVER SHAFT HOLE - Wipe any grease or debris out of the center shaft hole. Make sure to remove any old O-rings that may have come off the valve shaft when it was removed.
15. CLEAN OUT VALVE HOUSING - Thoroughly clean all grease and debris from the inside of the Valve Housing.
16. SLIDE OFF SHAFT O-RINGS - Slide the 2 old O-Rings off of the Shaft of the Diverter Assembly.
17. SLIDE ON SHAFT O-RINGS - Slide the 2 new O-Rings onto the end of the Shaft of the Diverter Assembly. Push them down as far as they will go.
18. LUBRICATE SHAFT O-RINGS - Lightly lubricate the two O-rings on the Shaft.
19. INSERT DVERTER ASSEMBLY - Slide the Diverter Assembly Shaft back up through the bottom of the Valve Cover. Push the Shaft so that both O-rings slide into the hole.
20. ROTATE THE VALVE ASSEMBLY - Rotate the Valve Assembly to the position of the old Assembly as noted in Step 6. In this case the small slot will be 90 degrees counter-clockwise from the "IINLET" label.
21. PLACE O-RING ON THE COVER - Place a new Cover O-Ring on the outside edge of the Valve Cover. It should fit snugly.
22. LUBRICATE COVER O-RING - Lubricate the Cover O-Ring lightly with a silicone or Teflon lubricant.
23. REPLACE VALVE COVER - Insert the Valve Cover into the Valve Housing. Note that the bottom of the Valve Shaft fits into the hole in the bottom of the Valve Housing. Ensure that the "INLET" label on the Cover is over the common port as noted in Step 6 and push the cover down as far as it will go.
24. REPLACE COVER SCREWS - Replace the 8 screws in the Valve Cover. When you screw them down alternate the screws across from each other to ensure that the Cover seat properly. Manually tighten the final turns on the screws so you don't strip them with the drill. Do not overtighten.
25. PLACE HANDLE - Place the Handle on the Valve Shaft. It is slotted so that it will only go on one way.
26. SCREW ON LOCKING KNOB - Replace the Locking Knob. Screw it on in a clockwise direction.
27. TURN ON POWER - Turn on the power to the pump at the circuit breaker.
28. CLOSE RELIEF VALVE - Close the Relief Valve on the top of the Filter when water starts to spray out.
29. CHECK FOR LEAKS - Look for leaks around the cover and shaft of the diverter valve. If the valve is on the suction side of the pump, spray the top of the valve with soapy water and look for soap bubbles being sucked into a suction leak. If the valve is on the discharge side of the pump, look for water squirting out around the valve cover or shaft.
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!