This guide explains how to replace a Pod on the Pool Cleaner. A Hayward Aquabug, Diver Dave, or Wanda the Whale pool cleaner has two pods on the left and right side of the lower body assembly. The cleaner shoes and wings are attached to these pods and it is the back and forth motion of these pods that allows the cleaner to move. Periodically these pods become worn or cracked or the hooks that hold the wings on are broken off. When this occurs these pods must be replaced.
1. To replace the Pods on a Pool cleaner you must first detach the Lower Body of the cleaner. The Pods will not clear the Bumper Wheels when you attempt to remove them.
2. To detach the Lower Body of the cleaner, first unscrew the three screws that secure the Access Cover Assembly to the Lower Body.
3. Lift off the Access Cover Assembly.
4. Lift out the Nozzle Throat.
5. Unscrew the two remaining screws at the front end of the Lower Body. For better access to the screws, flip the front flap up. You will feel some resistance before it snaps up.
6. Lift the Lower Body off of the cleaner.
7. To remove the pods, turn the Lower Body right side up and, using a flat screwdriver, pry the pod plug off the right pod. This will expose the end of a hex screw that secures the pod to the lower body of the cleaner.
8. Using a 1/4" hex socket wench, remove the screw from the pod. You will need a thin wall socket to reach the head of the screw. Keep track of the small washer that is under the head of the screw. It may be stuck at the bottom of the screw hole.
9. The pod is attached to the square end of the right A-Frame. Pull the pod off of the end of the A-Frame.
10. To attach the new pod, reverse the sequence described above. The pods are marked "R" and "L". Make sure you select the "R" pod. Press the new pod onto the end of the A-Frame. Secure the pod with the hex screw - make sure you include the small washer. Insert the pod plug and tap it in with the end of the screwdriver. Repeat steps 7-10 to replace the left pod.
11. To reattach the Lower Body of the cleaner reverse steps 2-6. Secure the Lower Body to the cleaner with the two screws at the front end of the Lower Body. Replace the Nozzle Throat. Replace and secure the Access Cover Assembly with the three screws.
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!