This instruction provides a step-by-step procedure for replacing a Hayward Tiger Shark Brush. The Hayward Tiger Shark brush is the portion of the cleaner that scrubs or agitates the surface so as the suction rolls over an area the loosened debris is more likely to be caught in the cleaner's filter cartridge. When the brush becomes worn the Tiger Shark cleaner may have difficulty moving and cleaning.
NOTE: See comments below. A reader may have a much simpler solution to replacing these brushes.
1. In preparation of replacing your Hayward Tiger Shark pool cleaner Brush, you will need to remove the Tiger Shark Handle, locate and extract the screws on each arm pivot. Replacement Tiger Shark Pool Cleaner Handle part #: 3276-078.
2. Next, turn the cleaner on its side to remove the Tiger Shark Cleaner Bottom Lid Assembly. This is done by unfastening the locking clips on each side of the bottom panel, then using the bar between the vents as a grip, and pulling out. At this point you can check the condition of your Tiger Shark cleaner filter cartridge to see if it requires changing, we have a "How to" on replacing that as well. Replacement Tiger Shark Pool Cleaner Locking Plate part #: 3276-074, Bottom Lid part #: 3276-072
3. At this point you can check the condition of your Tiger Shark Cleaner Filter Cartridge to see if it requires changing, we have a "How to" on replacing that as well. Replacement Tiger Shark Pool Cleaner Locking Plate part #: 3276-074, Bottom Lid part #: 3276-072
4. This should be your vantage point of the Hayward Tiger Shark Cleaner Motor, on either side Tiger Shark cleaner's motor housing wall you will see seven screws. Remove these screws to release the side panel. Replacement Tiger Shark Pool Cleaner Side Cover Screws part #; 3276-031
5. A flat-head screwdriver may be necessary to pry the cover from its supports.
6. This is what a Hayward Tiger Shark pool cleaner's drive belt and drive shaft should look like once the side cover is removed. Replacement Tiger Shark Pool Cleaner Drive Belt part #: 3276-050, Drive Pulley part #: 3276-053, Guide Bearing part #: 3276-051, Idler Bearing part #: 3276-052
7. Remove the two Idler Bearings that flank the Tiger Shark's Drive Shaft. Doing this will make it easier to remove the belt from the wheel tube in the next step. Replacement Tiger Shark Pool Cleaner Wheel Tube Assembly part #: 3276-054, Idler Bearing part #: 3276-052
8. Remove the Tiger Shark cleaner Drive Belt from around the wheel tubes and drive shaft. After a quick inspection of the Tiger Shark cleaner Drive, Guide, Idler and Roller bearings, you can place to side. Replacement Tiger Shark Pool Cleaner Wheel Tube Bearings part #: 3276-056, Tiger Shark Wheel Tube part #: 3276-055, Tiger Shark Brush part #: 3276-057
9. Remove the Tiger Shark Wheel Tube Assembly (or Roller Brush) by slipping it out of the drive belt on the opposite side of the unit. Replacement Tiger Shark Pool Cleaner Wheel Tube Assembly part #: 3276-054
10. The Tiger Shark Pool Cleaner Brush is held onto the wheel tube by these fastening points.
11. To soften the material of the Brush, use a solution of water and dish soap applied with your choice of tool to the fasteners. If properly applied, the flange should be pop off the post with help of pliers, discard old brush when done. Replacement Tiger Shark Pool Cleaner Brush part #: 3276-057
12. Inspect wheel tube for any damage before installing new Tiger Shark Cleaner Brush, to fasten the brush back onto the tube, apply the soap solution to the flange and post of the new brush and pull post through hole of flange using pliers. Replacement Tiger Shark Pool Cleaner Wheel Tube part #: 3276-055.
13. Slide the wheel tube with the newly installed brush back onto the post and drive belt on the side cover still attached to the cleaner.
14. Installing the drive belt is the same operation as taking it off but in reverse, snake the belt around the wheel tubes and drive shaft, to tighten the slack and complete the installation insert the idler wheels onto their posts. Make sure the notches and the base of the post are locked into the grooves on the bottom of the Idler Bearing.
15. Reinstall the Side Cover, securing with the screws inside of the unit. Tighten these screws then place in the Tiger Shark Pool Cleaner Cartridge and Bottom Lid Assembly, the last thing to install before resuming operation is the cleaner's handle. Inspect your Hayward Tiger Shark Pool Cleaner one last time for any issues, you may return to enjoying a clean pool.
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!