As a pool owner, you know that keeping your swimming pool beautiful can be a matter of great pride. If you’re thinking of upgrading or changing up your pool’s aesthetics, a new coat of pool paint would be the perfect way to do this. Swimming pool paint is important for proper maintenance and aesthetic purposes of your pool.
But if you’ve decided to paint your swimming pool, you’re probably already a little overwhelmed by the task itself. It’s definitely a huge project that you’ll want to do right the first time around. It’s good to own a pool that has the right quality finish and the one that will withstand different environmental and climatic conditions.
Finding the right one depends on several factors: materials used to make the pool, whether there’s existing paint or not, the durability you expect, and how much you are willing to pay. The pool paint should also be fairly easy to apply to your own.
For your convenience, we have reviewed the best 7 pool paints which will make your swimming area look as good as new!
1. INSL-X WR102409A-01
The INSL-X WR102409A-01 Waterborne Semi Gloss Pool Paint is a good choice. One gallon should cover approximately 300-400ft². It’s an emulsion pool paint that adheres to slightly damp surfaces. It’s best used with fresh or saltwater swimming pools. We like this acrylic pool paint because it’s easy to use. You can apply it over most types of correctly prepared existing pool paints, without having to strip away the old paint entirely.
Perfect for bare concrete, gunite, marcite and other in ground masonry pools in good conditions, this paint is an excellent option. Available in beautiful colors of aquamarine, black, ocean blue, royal blue and white, you can pick the shade you prefer for your swimming area. The best part? It’s low VOC, so it’s neither harmful to the environment nor humans.
- Acrylic emulsion swimming pool paint
- Use with fresh or saltwater swimming pools.
- Quick-drying acrylic swimming pool paint.
- Lasting color and protection in black, white, aquamarine, royal blue, and ocean blue pool paint.
- Can be applied over most types of properly prepared existing pool paints.
- Ideal for bare concrete, marcite, gunite & pools made of other masonry.
- Before painting, review the INSL-X Waterborne Pool Painting Guide for proper preparation and application tips.
2. Rust-Oleum Pool Paint
The Rust-Oleum is ideal for making the painting job easy and efficient. It’s an acrylic-based paint that is easily applied to any concrete, plaster, or other masonry surfaces. It dries incredibly fast – you can touch it in 6 hours and apply the second coating in just 24 hours.
Another thing we like about it is that it adheres well to both rough and smooth pool surfaces. A single gallon of this acrylic paint covers up to 150 square feet (depending on the surface) and gives you a great-looking sky blue color that will last for many seasons in the sun.
- Epoxy Pool Paint is designed to provide long lasting protection for concrete, plaster, gunite, and fiberglass swimming pools, slides, and spas
- The epoxy finish provides stain, chemical, and abrasion resistance
- Exposure to sunlight and certain interior lighting conditions causes fading and chalking of all epoxy type coatings, these changes are cosmetic in nature only
- Made in the USA
3. In The Swim Super Poxy Shield Epoxy
Just like its name suggests, this is a super poxy paint that comes in a gallon to ensure that you complete your painting with ease. The paint is recommended for use on all pool surfaces and works well to cover any stain.
One thing that you might like, a single application of the paint can last for about 8 years. And it provides a stain-resistant surface with a ceramic-like finish. Hence, it is always attractive to the eye and will make people want to be in and around your pool.
It was designed to cover more ground with each application and one gallon covers about 150 sq. ft. Therefore, you can save a lot of money when compared to buying other paints.
- 1 gallon of Pool Blue paint
- A single application lasts up to 8 years.
- High-gloss finish for long-lasting durability.
- Coverage: Approximately 150 square feet per gallon.
4. RUST-OLEUM Pool Paint
RUST-OLEUM is a trusted brand for any type of paint, and its pool blend is no different.
This paint comes ready-to-use and dries fast. It’s also cement-based, so it’s incredibly durable and long-lasting, providing an extra protective coating for your pool surfaces.
But aside from the quality, people like it for its striking blue color that’s sort of a medium sky blue.
- Keeps your pool refreshing and inviting
- Super protective coat
- Avoid painting in direct sunlight
5. AdCoat Swimming Pool Paint
With its two-part formula, the AdCoat paint brings the best of both epoxy and premium acrylic pool paints. This combination gives it increased resistance to chlorine and UV rays, significantly reducing fading and chalking. Whether you need fiberglass or concrete pool paints, this mix will adhere well to any surface.
The AdCoat paint for pools is fairly easy to apply, and one gallon is enough for painting the most smaller swimming pools. Besides the standard blue and white colors, you can even get a custom color with orders over 15 gallons. For this price per gallon, it’s the best pool paint that you'll come across.
- Ideal for Residential and Commercial Pools
- Additional Uses in: fountains, water ladders, slides, holding tanks, aqueducts
- 2 part epoxy -- water based acrylic
- Designed for Concrete, Gunite, Plaster & Fiberglass
- 1 Gallon Kit Covers Up To 300 Sq. Ft.
6. Pond Armor SKU
The non-toxic pond armor SKU is among the best epoxy pool paint options you can find. It comprises a waterproof formula, which enables its usage in varying climates, including hot and freezing weather.
Pond Armor SKU contains a self-priming formula, which permits firm bonding and results in a ready-finished surface and easy maintenance. It functions as a pond liner, which waterproofs several water features such as ponds and aquariums – not just swimming pools. You’ll notice it creates a natural, smooth finish – free of wrinkles.
Your pool will enjoy protection against cracks and a lasting coat. The pool paint has a quick-drying feature, which means that the surface will be usable in 24 hours. Furthermore, the product adheres to any surface comprising concrete, brick, stone, or wood because of the flexible bond potency.
It’s suitable for rubber, most plastics, and other coatings. Pond armor is accessible in a 1.5-quart kit and is ideal for large or huge pool painting projects. For most applications, you’ll simply require a roller, brush, or sprayer. The product allows you to wipe off algae growth easily once applied.
- Water proof formula suitable for use in a wide range of climatic environments from hot to freeze/thaw conditions
- Specifically designed for underwater use and to be non-toxic and fish and plant safe
- Self priming formula allows for reliable adhesion for a finished surface that is easy to maintain
- Can be put into service in as little as 24 hours. Kit yields 60 square feet at 10 mils thickness on a smooth surface
- Can be applied to any constructed surface made of wood metal or stone as well as most plastics and other coatings
7. Olympic Zeron Epoxy Pool Coating
If you’re a professional and are looking for a super durable paint that provides a phenomenal finish, the Olympic Zeron Epoxy Coating is what you want. This epoxy paint is a fantastic choice for sealing cracks, covering stains, and refinishing for plaster pools. When it comes to durability, there’s no paint out there that is in the league of Olympic Zeron Epoxy Pool Coating. When applied directly to the surface, the paint offers an incredibly perfectly finish that will protect your pool’s surface for a good 8 years, making it one of the most effective paints in the industry.
Another great thing about the Zeron Epoxy is that it looks superb when applied on surfaces, with its chic and sleek high-gloss finish, which will provide your backyard pool with a resort-like feel. All you need to do is ensure that you use the right tools and accessories when applying this epoxy paint. You’ll also need to prepare the pool surface for the best adhesion and finish, as the Zeron needs to be applied on a dry, primed, and clean pool surfaces. It’s our choice for the best paint because it guarantees you nearly a decade of swimming in a spectacular looking swimming pool.
- Great plaster alternative
- Perfect for new construction or refinishing
- Great for sealing
- Inhibits algae growth
- Super durable
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!