Swimming with your dog in your pool can be a fun summertime activity. Moreover, a dip in the pool can be a great way for our four-legged friends to beat the heat this summer!
However, according to a study of drowning incidents in small animals, swimming pools are the most common man-made location for pet drowning incidents. Many new dog parents underestimate the danger a backyard pool presents and overestimate their new puppy’s swimming proficiency.
While some dogs can swim, many can’t. Because of this, keeping your fur baby safe is a top priority. Luckily, there are many preventative measures you can take.
These reviews provide a breakdown of the 5 best tips for dog safety equipment with examples of the certain products:
1. Doggy Life Jacket
For example: Ruffwear K9 Float Coat Dog Life Jacket
The Ruffwear K9 Float Coat is the one of the highest rated dog life jackets on the market, thanks to its extreme quality and reliability. While it comes at a higher price point, it’s definitely well merited, as this canine life vest is top-notch quality.
This vest comes with strategically-placed closed cell foam panels, which lets your dog stay in his natural swimming position. The vest’s telescoping neck closure is adjustable, which helps allow for natural and comfortable canine movement.
You’ll note that this jacket has additional flotation beneath your pooch’s belly to ensure he stays afloat. There are also no exposed straps or buckles, to avoid any chance of dangerous snagging. Lastly, we love that this vest has reflective trim — this will make sure you can easily see your dog in the water, even at dusk or when waves get a bit choppy.
- Confidence-inspiring canine life jacket built with time proven, abrasion resistant materials
- Natural swimming position made possible by strategically to placed closed cell foam panels
- Strong, low profile handle is optimally positioned to help dogs out of water
- Telescoping neck closure adjusts for a range of dog sizes and is permanently attached and secure
- Fits dog with girth from 27 to 32-inches
2. Pool Alarm
For example: Lifebuoy Pool Alarm System
This device detects motion in the water (beyond routine water currents) and sound an alert. It’s critical to keep in mind that a pool alarm is not a substitute for supervision. An alarm will not prevent your dog from falling into the water, but it is designed to let you know if he does so you can take action.
- equipped with motion detector sensors which trigger the alarm when a child or pet falls into the water. It can easily detect motion in the pool.
- an innovative state of the art technology to ensure your safety in all types of pools: a pool alarm for above ground pools, inground pools, spas, ornamental pools, constructed or temporary pools.
- comes with a smart Bluetooth app which is used to setup and control the pool alarm. Use it to adjust the sensitivity of the system or increase / decrease the siren length. You can connect the Lifebuoy App to multiple Lifebuoy alarm Systems and can also have multiple users. Please note that the App will only work within Bluetooth range.
- All batteries are included - just attach the pool unit poolside using the provided attachment kit, and you are ready to go. Lifebuoy pool safety alarm works on replaceable non-rechargeable batteries. Batteries model is ER 9V 1200mAh Lithium. Batteries can last up to 3 years, depending on usage.
- Lifebuoy uses a smart feature named Swim Mode. When Swim Mode is activated, the alarm will not sound off – to allow swimming. Should no movement be detected for 10 minutes, the system will reactivate automatically, and in the event of a fall into the pool - a siren will go off
3. Dog Ramp for Pool
For example: PetSTEP Folding Pet Ramp
If you prefer a dog pool ramp rather than pool stairs, the PetSTEP Folding Pet Ramp is the best choice.
You don’t need to spend hours on its manual set-up. Simply unfold it and attach it to your ground pool. This PetSTEP original folding ramp is 70 inches long with rubber coating on the top surface.
Many manufacturers don’t understand the harm sandpaper/carpet material can do to your dog’s paws but, PetSTEP has it covered for you. The rubberized walking surface won’t hurt the dog and its paws. It’s also easy to claw rubber for a better grip, so your dog won’t be as likely to slip with their wet paws as they try to exit the pool. It has a strong plastic construction that can hold up to 200lbs (animals).
- The flat surface allows your dog to enjoy the swimming pool without getting wet. Your dog can get sun-kissed, too with this flat ramp.
- You can easily fold it.
- This dog water ramp is built with quality products and doesn’t corrode.
- It’s long-lasting.
- PetSTEP is easy to wash and clean.
- These can also be used with tall beds and couches that your little pup can’t reach.
4. Dog Fence for pools
For example: VINGLI Pool Fence by Life Saver
Vingli offers this high quality dog fence for pools and is meant to protect pets and children from the dangers of pools. It’s available in three different sizes, 4’ X 12’, 4’ X 48’, and 4 X 96’. Which size you choose depends on how large an area you need to secure. The mesh fabric is made from premium material that is very durable, so it won’t crack or tear. The aluminum frame and stainless steel pegs are weather-resistant so they won’t rust or fade in the sun. This fence comes with detailed instructions and is easy to install. Hooks and eye loops connect the fence sections together for a sturdy and stable setup. It can also be easily removed and rolled up when not in use. This fence doesn’t include a gate and should be used in conjunction with the Life Saver Gate Kit .
With a variety of sizes to choose from, and the option to purchase multiple sections of fencing, this product can help keep your dog safe no matter the size of your swimming pool. The high-quality material of both the mesh and the aluminum poles prevents your dog from breaking through it, keeping them safely out of the swimming pool.
- Durable material
- Rust-resistant steel
- Multiple size options
5. Keep your in-ground pool covered
For example: WaterWarden Safety Inground Pool Cover
this pool cover is capable of supporting up to 4,000 lbs of weight. With such a high weight capacity, this cover is sure to keep your dog safe around the pool.
This cover is made from a lightweight mesh material that allows rainwater to drain through while filtering out debris such as falling leaves. It’s securely installed with the included anchor hooks using triple-stitched 2-ply strapping.
Padding on the cover’s contact points prevents abrasions and fraying. The mesh makes it easy for rain and snow to drain into the pool, and the anchor hooks ensure the cover won’t be damaged by inclement weather.
This cover can be easily removed when you don’t need it. When not in use, the anchor hooks rest flush against your deck or concrete so you don’t have to worry about your dog or your guests tripping over them.
It’s available in a variety of sizes, with each cover featuring 1’ of overlap on each side for total coverage of your pool. This pool cover is sold with installation tools including a tamping tool, installation rod, and hex key.
Water Warden pool covers are UL classified with the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Standard, so you know you are getting a quality product.
- 4,000lb weight capacity
- Available in a variety of sizes
- Triple-stitched strapping
- ASTM classified
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!