Does your pool have metals in the water? Indeed, all water contains trace amounts of metals like iron, aluminum, manganese, zinc and silver, copper, even gold.
Metals in pool water are always there, but usually dissolved in solution. It is a problem only when they come out of solution, to discolor the water or deposit as pool stains. This can happen by oxidation from shocking the pool, especially when the pool water balance is incorrect.
Metals in the pool are not toxic and even very high levels in the pool are not a concern for swimmers. They also do little to interfere with water balance, although they are affected by it. The main problem is an aesthetic issue; metals and minerals can cloud the water or stain underwater surfaces.
One method of absorbing metals is the Sequestering Agents. It’s a special chemicals used to bind-up minerals and metals in solution, making it difficult for them to precipitate out of solution to cloud the water or stain the pool. They do not actually remove metals from the water, but keep them ‘sequestered’ or locked in solution with tight chemical bonds.
Sequestering Agents keep metals safely dissolved during pH fluctuations, high chlorine levels or other water conditions that can knock metals and minerals out of solution.
We've rounded up the best 5 Metal Magnets. You really can’t go wrong with any of them.
1. CULATOR - METAL ELIMINATOR AND STAIN PREVENTER ULTRA POWERPACK 4.0
CUL-ULT-1 The CuLator Metal Eliminator and Stain Preventer Ultra PowerPak 4.0 removes 4 ppm stain-causing metals from your pool and spa water, which prevents pool staining and water discoloration. Treats 20,000 gallons. Simply place one CuLator Ultra 4.0 into your pump basket for one month or longer depending on your metal level. The CuLator Ultra 4.0 will removes and traps dissolved metals and can be used seasonally. The CuLator Ultra 4.0 removes rust, iron, copper, manganese, cobalt, nickel, silver, aluminum and even lead from your fresh or saltwater pool. CuLator is non-toxic, easy to use, and is phosphate free, and made in the USA.
- Prevents pool staining from metals
- Easy to use--place in pump basket
- No Phosphates
- Removes and eliminates iron, copper, manganese, and lead
2. In The Swim Stain Away Pool Stain Remover - 1 Quart
In The Swim Stain Away Pool Stain Remover prevents and removes mineral stains caused by iron, copper, and magnesium. It also prevents the build-up of scale around the water line and in the plumbing. When minerals oxidize, they discolor. After discoloration, they can leave a stain if the mineral settles on the interior. Iron will become red-brown; copper will turn purple-black; and magnesium is pink-purple. Stain away is a must for areas with heavy iron and/or copper content or well water.
- Suggest for use with well water
- Chelates copper and iron
- Safe in all pool interior types
- Active Ingredient: Hydroxyethylidene Diphosphonic Acid (HEDP) 13 - 15%
- Initial Dosage: 15 oz. per 10,000 gallons
3. NATURAL CHEMISTRY - METALFREE METAL STAIN REMOVER 1L
Natural Chemistry's METALfree is a highly effective chelating agent that prevents staining and discoloration from trace metals such as iron and copper. METALfree also prevents scale build-up due to calcium and other minerals. These trace metals and minerals may already be in the pool water or in the fill water. It should be used as part of a well designed pool maintenance program where local water requires it, or where well water is the pool water source.
- Phosphate free!
- Powerful formula chelates iron, copper, and other trace minerals.
- Protects against surface staining and water discoloration caused by metals in pool water.
- Protects against calcium and mineral scale buildup.
4. JACK'S MAGIC - THE BLUE STUFF
Jack's Magic The Blue Stuff' works quickly to remove ugly orange-colored metallic stains and blemishes from your pool's water as well as cleaning your water with a high copper reading. The Blue Stuff continues to work hard to protect your pool from future stains and helps to keep your water crystal clear for the best swimming experience.
- Professional strength that works in high-chlorination pools.
- Can be used in fountains and water features.
- Safe for all pool finishes and surfaces.
- Water is ready to swim in after 15 minutes of pump circulation.
- Add to water while the pump is circulating.
5. BioGuard Pool Magnet Plus
BioGuard Pool Magnet Plus prevents staining due to iron, copper and manganese. It also eliminates discolored water from metals. This product has been recently reformulated and is now more concentrated and effective as ever. Pool experts recommend that this product be used monthly in pools that hold iron-containing fill water. It is only necessary to be used monthly because it stays effective for 3-4 weeks. It is recommended to use Pool Magnet Plus in conjunction with BioGuard Sparkle Up to remove metals from the water.
- Prevents and removes stains from iron, copper and manganese
- Eliminates discolored water from metals
- Easy to apply, highly concentrated formula
- Use in conjunction with Sparkle Up to remove metals from the water
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!