The days get a bit shorter and the nights a bit crisper as summer winds its way to a close. One of the tasks that go hand-in-hand with the end of vacation season is closing your pool.
While closing your pool brings reluctant groans, it’s important to close your pool carefully in order to protect it for the next swim season. However, if you have the right pool closing kit, closing down your pool is easy, and you can rest assured knowing your pool is clean and safe against algae growth for the upcoming winter.
Going through the steps to properly close your pool makes opening it the next spring so much nicer. Instead of opening a pool that resembles a green swamp, you should find clean and clear water that simply needs chemical balancing. Plus, properly winterizing your pool can save you money. By taking cautious steps now, you can avoid expensive repair costs for frozen plumping lines and busted pool equipment.
There are many factors to consider when purchasing a pool closing kit, and it can be hard to know which ones are the best value or quality. To help you find the perfect pool winterizing kit, we put forth the effort to present you our list of recommendable pool winterizing kits.
Take a look at our top picks for the 5 best pool closing chemicals. You really can’t go wrong with any of them!
1. In The Swim Pool Winterizing and Closing Chemical Kit
In The Swim Pool closing kit provides you with the best possible value. This kit comes with high-quality winter stain-away, winterized algaecide, and pool shock, as well as a time-release pool floater, which allows you to keep your pool clean all winter.
The time-release pool floater continues to release non-chlorine chemicals for months after your pool is covered, which prevents algae from finding food. The time-release floater can also be adapted to work with whatever size pool you have, making it a very versatile buy.
The kit also comes with an absorbent winter Sorb sponge, which soaks up the scum and oils, which will help prevent any clogging in your pool’s plumbing system.
- For use with pools up to 15,000 gallons only. Kits use non-chlorine based chemicals
- Contains: 1 qt. Winterizing inhibitor, 1 qt. Winter stain-away, 2 lbs. Chlorine-free shock
- 1 super sanitizing floater-filled with 2.5 lbs. of non-chlorine oxidizer and 1 Winter Sorb sponge
- Not for use in pools on a biguanide based sanitizing system
2. Robelle 3415 Triple-Action Winter Kit
The Robelle 3415 Triple-Action Winter Kit is an excellent buy if you are looking to close down a larger pool for the winter. Robelle provides a very strong solution that will keep larger pools from developing significant issues throughout the winter.
This Robelle kit uses a non-chlorine shock system and even makes your pool clearer before you close it down for the winter. And although the system is only guaranteed to work up to 15,000 gallons, some users with pools as large as 25,000 gallons have claimed Robelle’s kit got their pool through the winter.
Their closing down kit also comes with a stain remover, which can help clean any stains at the end of the season and at the beginning when opening up for the summer.
- Includes 1 Qt; Winterizer, 2 Lb; Winter Shock, 1 Qt; Anti-Stain Control
- Treats Pools Up To 15,000 Gallons
- Makes Pool Opening Easier
- No Assembly Required
3. BioGuard Arctic Blue Winter Kit
If you are buying a Pool Winterizing Kits for the first time, then you should have Bioguard Arctic Blue. It has fewer features when you make Pool Winterizing Kits comparisons of Bioguard Arctic Blue with any other Pool Winterizing Kits but what it has is ease of use and best in class service. Go ahead and Grab a Pool Winterizing Kits, grab any Pool Winterizing Kits but if you are first time user and want a good experience do not look anywhere other than Bioguard Arctic Blue
- BioGuard Arctic Blue Winter Closing Kit - up to 12K Gallons of Water
- Premium off-season winter closing kit
- Contains Arctic Blue Shock and Arctic Blue Algae Protector
- BioGuard Winterizing Kit 12,000 Gallons
- Convenient winterization guide included, with step-by-step instructions
4. Clearview Winterizing and Closing Chemical Kit
Clearview provides a cleaning kit that attempts to minimize the potential for harmful chemicals used in closing down your pool for the winter. Many of the substances they use even help reduce the current chlorine levels in your pool. This reduction in chlorine means it is the perfect kit for those who are allergic to or whose skin is easily irritated by chlorine.
Many closing kits that are chlorine-free will attempt to get your pool ready for the winter without any chemicals, which can lead to some shockingly bad results come springtime. But Clearview uses chemicals; they just don’t use chlorine, substituting it with gentler chemicals.
- For use with pools up to 15,000 gallons only
- Kits use chlorine-free chemicals that will not stain or bleach liners
- Not for use in pools on a biguanide based sanitizing system
- Includes: 1 qt poly 30 algaecide, 1 qt mineral magnet stain control, 2 x 1lb pouch of chlor free shock.
- 1 qt pool algaecide (Clearview Poly Power 30)
5. Doheny's Ultimate Pool Winterizing and Closing Chemical Kit (for Pools Up to 35,000 Gallons)
It has often been said that all good things must come to an end. And for most of us, the swimming season is no exception. In order to ensure a joyful spring pool opening next year, use Doheny’s Winter Closing Kit. Since pools are not normally used in the winter months, the water is not filtered, circulated, or sanitized, making it easy for algae to grow and for stains to develop. These Non-Chlorine Kits come complete with everything you need to close your pool and protect your liner or plaster walls from stains or fading.
- This convenient package contains all of the chemicals you need to get your pool ready for the winter months!
- Benefits of Doheny’s Pool Closing Kits include eliminating the need to buy all of your pool closing chemicals separately. Kits work for pools 7,500 to 35,000 gallons. All kits include easy to follow instructions!
- Contains Doheny's Metal Out - the ULTIMATE Stain, Rust & Scale Preventer; Winter Guard Algae Control; Time-Released Winter Oxidizing Tablets - our “SECRET IN THE BOX”(!), and Chlorine-Free Oxidizing Shock.
- Also Includes 1 LITRE BOTTLES OF Natural Chemistry's Metal Free and Pool Magic Fall & Phos-Free!
- For larger pools, simply buy multiple kits
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!