Winter is here, and if you have a pool, it's time to start thinking about how to protect it during the colder months. One essential tool for winter pool maintenance is a pool cover pump. In this guide, we will explore everything you need to know about winter pool cover pumps and why they are crucial for keeping your pool in top condition.
What is a winter pool cover pump?
A winter pool cover pump is a device designed to remove excess water from your pool cover. During the winter, rain, snow, and ice can accumulate on your pool cover, causing it to sag and potentially damage it. A pool cover pump helps prevent this by automatically pumping out the water, keeping your cover taut and protecting it from damage.
Why do you need a winter pool cover pump?
There are several reasons why a winter pool cover pump is essential for pool owners:
1. Prevents damage: Excess water on your pool cover can cause it to sag, leading to potential damage. A pool cover pump removes the water, keeping your cover in good condition.
2. Protects your pool: A sagging pool cover can allow debris, leaves, and other contaminants to enter your pool. By keeping your cover taut, a pool cover pump helps prevent this, keeping your pool clean and reducing the need for maintenance.
3. Saves time and effort: Without a pool cover pump, you would have to manually remove the water from your pool cover, which can be time-consuming and physically demanding. A pool cover pump automates this process, saving you time and effort.
How does a winter pool cover pump work?
A winter pool cover pump typically operates using a submersible pump that sits on top of your pool cover. The pump is equipped with a sensor that detects the presence of water. When the water level reaches a certain point, the pump automatically turns on and starts pumping out the water. Once the water level drops below the sensor, the pump shuts off.
What features should you look for in a winter pool cover pump?
When choosing a winter pool cover pump, consider the following features:
1. Automatic operation: Look for a pump that has an automatic sensor to detect water levels and turn on/off accordingly. This feature ensures that the pump operates efficiently without requiring constant monitoring.
2. Pumping capacity: Check the pumping capacity of the pump, which is usually measured in gallons per hour (GPH). Choose a pump that can handle the amount of water your pool cover is likely to accumulate.
3. Energy efficiency: Opt for a pump that is energy efficient to minimize electricity costs during the winter months.
A winter pool cover pump is an essential tool for any pool owner looking to protect their pool during the colder months. By removing excess water from your pool cover, a pool cover pump helps prevent damage, protects your pool, and saves you time and effort. When choosing a pump, consider features such as automatic operation, pumping capacity, and energy efficiency. With the right pool cover pump, you can ensure that your pool stays in top condition throughout the winter season.
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!
Also don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel and check out our videos with other great pool and spa products.