So, you are here because you’re looking the best pool skimmer. It is important apparatus for your swimming pool maintenance and general pool water filtering and draining operations.
There are a few types of pool skimmers and today we’ll talk about automatic pool skimmers. An automatic pool skimmer allows you to keep your pool spotless without lifting a finger. You connect this type of skimmer to the filtration system in your swimming pool. These skimmers slither along the surface of your pool, sucking up the water and debris through the hose as it makes its way along.
Choosing the right pool skimmer for your needs requires the right information in regards to quality, functionality, design, and price. This article reviews the seven best automatic pool skimmers available in the market based on customer reviews, supplier credibility, and overall price and quality.
1. Hayward Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Skimmer
Skimming an above-ground pool doesn’t have to be an everyday, manual task. Instead, you can cut a hole in the side of the pool and install Hayward’s Dyna-Skim skimmer. It seems nerve-wracking, but with the right preparation and materials, you’ll be enjoying a cleaner pool in no time.
The kit comes with everything you need, from the gasket to the screws and faceplate. Overall, the challenge lies in cutting carefully and fitting the skimmer to your pool properly. At the same time, we love this skimmer because it works with such a wide range of pool types.
- Large debris collection basket
- Heavy duty UV resident ABS construction
- Top and front basket access
- Snap-in and removable weir
- Compatible with wide top seat pools
2. Pool Skim Pool Cleaner and Skimmer
Whether you’re hoping to reduce the stress on your filtration system or need to suck up leaves and other debris, PoolSkim has the solution. Their skimmer and cleaner uses a clip-on mesh bag to pull debris from the pool (and away from your filter and pump).
From small bugs to pollen and pet hair, the PoolSkim sucks everything in and keeps it contained until you can empty it out. Plus, it’s easy to install and operate.
We do have a couple of complaints about the system, however. For one, it’s incompatible with Intex pools. And secondly, it does intrude into your swimming space. With smaller pools, this is a problem – for pools with more square footage, it’s likely not an issue.
- Award-Winning Automatic Pool Skimmer
- Connects to 1&1/2 Inch Threaded Outflow Return Jet-where water flows back into pool
- Self-Adjusting to Water Level
- Reduces Workload on Filtration System
- Cleaning Made Easy
3. Above-Ground Pool Deluxe Wall Mount Automatic Skimmer
Intex Above Ground Pool Deluxe Auto Skimmer works through the use of venture principle. One side of the hose is joined to the skimmer and the other to your swimming pool outlet where the pool’s water returns to your pool through the pump. The skimmer helps catch leaves and debris before they can get to the bottom of your pool.
This apparatus work with your pool’s filter pump for faster skimming. The unit is uniquely designed and does an effective job skimming your facility and its basket is large enough to collect a reasonable amount of dirt. This prevents clogging of the filters.
- CLEAN POOL: Catch floating debris and leaves before they find a home at the bottom of your swimming pool with the Intex Deluxe Wall Mount Swimming Pool Surface Automatic Skimmer.
- DURABLE: It is made of durable, polypropylene plastic and is not affected by pool chemicals.
- CAPATIBILITY: Once you mount it to your wall, attach it to your 800 GPH filter and watch it do its thing
- EASY TO USE: Strainer basket is easy to clean and removes in an instant
- DIMENSIONS: Dimensions: 8.25 x 9.5 x 13 inches
4. SkimmerMotion Pool Skimmer
The product removes all particles and debris, smaller than an inch, from your swimming pool surface without requiring any chemicals. Actually, the skimmer is able to remove particles and debris before they reach the bottom of your pool.
The unit moves in the same direction as your vacuum cleaner in order to cover the entire pool. It was designed to be sleek, compact, and effective and boasts of an aesthetic design which is attractive.
- NOT FOR BIG LEAVES - removes all particles and debris, BEFORE they mix or reach the bottom of the pool
- Clarifies your pool removing all SMALL particles and debris smaller than 1 inches from pool surface without the use of chemicals
- Automatically moves in parallel with your bottom vacuum cleaner reaching where no other device can, covering your entire pool surface
- FREE SUPPORT - Compatible add on device for most vacuums cleaners (Check list please).
- For +1HP Pumps - Patented, designed and made in USA to be effective, energy efficient, compact, sleek and aesthetically pleasing
5. Gator AutoSkim – Automatic Pool Skimmer, Clarifier, and Cleaner
Gator AutoSkim is a product that cleans your pool surface within seconds. It moves slowly around your facility and it is even able to reach all the corners of your pool. It doesn’t depend on the water flow or wind, hence able to work even when the weather is calm to collect bugs, pollen, leaves, debris, and dust.
The skimmer is able to work with most suction types of cleaners and recycles the water to the filtration system.
- Moves randomly along your pool surface collecting leaves and debris
- Easy to install and operate. Simply connects to the pool hose 2 to 3 segments from the Automatic Pool Cleaner (APC).
- Gator Auto-Skim operates effectively at any water level, and in any type or shape of pool, i.e. in concrete, fiber glass and vinyl pools, above and below ground.
- Gator Auto-Skim operates with virtually all automatic suction type pool cleaners on the market.
- Gator required to be connected to a suction cleaner - NOT PROVIDED.
6. SkimDoctor 2.0 Pool-Skimmer (Automatic)
The SkimDoctor 2.0 is another type of above ground pool skimmer that uses a whirlpool to draw debris into the skimmer. It installs in a few minutes with no tools, and you can clean the filter without putting your hands in any water. A skimmer sock placed over the basket can reduce the debris in your pool even further, and the unit can be hosed clean. The collection basket is large and can filter for several days without affecting the operation of the pump.
We found that it works well, but you can only use it with inground pools. It also takes a little longer than many other brands to get the debris out of the pool, and we found ourselves hosing it down quite a lot, which requires getting out and putting away the hose. We have to water the garden every day anyway, but for some people, this might be an extra step they could avoid with a different brand.
- 3x Faster Cleaning - The SkimDoctor 2.0 catches leaves and floating surface debris up to 3x faster than ordinary pool skimmers, before they sink to the bottom of your pool.
- Swift and Dry Cleanup - With the SkimDoctor 2.0, simply grab the tower to remove your basket without touching the water! Fine mesh skimmer sock captures leaves, bugs, pollen, dust, and more while allowing you to quickly dispose of debris without getting your hands wet or dirty.
- Fewer Pool Chemicals Needed - By improving water circulation and enhancing the functionality of your inground pool vacuum, SkimDoctor 2.0 decreases the need for chemicals in your swimming pool. Unlike other products, SkimDoctor works from inside your skimmer basket so you never have to look at it while enjoying your pool.
- Easy 5-minute Assembly - The SkimDoctor 2.0 fits inside your inground pool skimmer basket and requires no special tools for installation. Adjustable gates are used to improve the performance of low flow OR variable speed pool pumps. Chemical and corrosion resistant fittings ensure a long lifespan.
- Versatile 2.0 Model - The new and improved 2.0 model fits all skimmer baskets up to 10-3/4 inches high by 8-1/8 inches internal top width.
7. Dunnrite Hydro-Net Pool-Skimmer (Automatic)
The Pooldevil Automatic Swimming Pool Skimmer uses the return jet on your pool and cyclonic action to pull debris into a net and trap it there. Since it uses the water coming back into the pool, it won’t put added pressure on to your pump or clog your sand filter. Installation takes less than a minute and doesn’t require any tools.
We like the way this device works, and it does a good job even when people are swimming. You can also vacuum while using these skimmers. The downside to this type of automatic skimmer is that it won’t pick up the oils that are left behind from suntan lotion, and other body lotions and makeup. The hosing also tends to wear out quickly from hanging and being tugged on by the debris-filled net, and the plastic parts become brittle after a few years.
- Removes float debris, leaves, grass, clippings, insects and even fine particles from pool surface.
- No Extra Power Source!
- Creates a circular flow in pool guiding all debris toward PoolDevil unit.
- Works in conjunction with existing pool cleaning device.
- Easy to Assemble.
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!