This guide provides a step-by-step procedure for overhauling a Pentair Letro Legend 4 Wheel Cleaner. If your Pentair Legend pool cleaner is not working properly, it may need to be replaced or overhauled. A Pentair Legend LL206N overhaul kit will have all the parts you’ll need to get your pool cleaner running like new.
1. Turn off the booster pump and remove the cleaner from the water. Disconnect the hose from the head of the cleaner. Ideally you may want to let the cleaner dry before working on it.
2. Mark the position of the head float on the feed mast then remove the head float.
3. To remove the Letro Legend Pool Cleaner Bag rotate the plastic cuff ounterclockwise until the vacuum tube posts are are free, as pictured and pull up.
4. Remove the debris valve from the top of the vacuum tube.
5. Remove the vacuum tube posts at this point. These must be removed or the cleaner top cover will not fit over the vacuum tube. Gently pull them out.
6. Make sure to mark the position of the sweep hose adjustment screw with a marker before removing it.
7. To remove the sweep hose, pull the clamp apart. Once the clamp is off, you can pull the hose off.
8. Remove the top half of the cleaner. There are four screws underneath the cleaner that hold it in place.
9. To access the bearings, the wheel hub cover must be removed. To do this take a flat head screw driver to pry off the lid using the small notch in the hub.
10. Once the hub cover is out you can now access the wheel screw. Use a flat-head screw driver to remove this screw. After the screw is removed, you can place it and the washer to the side.
11. The wheel can now be taken off the axle. Do this by gripping both sides of the wheel and pulling straight off the axle. Repeat this process for the remaining 3 wheels.
12. Before installing the bearings on the new wheels, note how they are installed on the old ones. When installed in the wheel, the notched ends should be facing one another. To remove them, insert yoru finger into the bearing then pull it out.
13. Install the new rubber tires on the wheels and place them aside for now.
14. We’ll begin working on the body of the cleaner. Remove the turbine shaft shield and turbine cover. Leave the hose attached and place it in the throat of the cleaner so it is out of the way.
15. Remove the turbine shft shield by removing the 2 screws.
16. Remove the four screws that hold the turbine bearings in place and gently remove it. Next remove the turbine bearings by gently pulling them outward.
17. Next, remove the four axles. Note the position of the groove on the axles.
18. We’ll begin reassembling the cleaner by installing the new axles. Do not tighten the screws until the wheels have been installed and adjusted.
19. Install the protective sleeves on the turbine then install the new turbine bearings.
20. Place the new turbine assembly in the housing secure it using the four screws.
21. Before re-installing the turbine cover and shield, inspect the hose clamps and replace them if necessary. Removing the clamps is done in the same manner as the clamp on the sweep hose.
22. Secure the turbine shield and cover with the three screws you removed earlier.
23. Next, install the 2 rear wheels securing them to the axle with the plastic screw and washer. Once you’ve made your adjustments, you can tighten the axles.
24. The grooves on the front wheels must fully engage the turbine shaft. Be sure to spin the wheel to check that the shaft is in contact with the grooves inside the wheel. If the shaft is in place then both wheels connected to the shaft should turn at the same rate.
25. Once the wheel is in place, tighten the axle screws then secure the wheel in place with the plastic screw. Repeat the process for the second front wheel. Spin the wheels to make sure the spin freely. if not, readjust the axles.
26. Place the cover back onto the cleaner and secure it using the 4 screws that were removed earlier.
27. Next, reinstall the vacuum tube posts. Gently push them into place.
28. Now you may screw in the adjustment nozzle to the mark you made earlier.
29. Secure the new sweeper tail to the feed mast. Connect the tail to the mast then slide the clamp over the hose and spout. Once around the hose, pinch the clamp to tighten as needed to the spout.
30. Install the new ballast float to the mark you made earlier.
31. Next, install the new debris valve. Be sure to align the tabbs on the debris valve with the slots on the cleaner.
32. Reattach the debris bag to the cleaner. Align the slot on the bag and the vacuum tube posts slide the bag down onto the tube. Lock into place by turning clockwise.
33. Reconnect the main feed hose to the cleaner head.
34. Once you have attached the feed hose do one last inspection for any parts that look or feel out of place. If you do not find any lingering issues then you may resume operation of your Letro Legend Pool Cleaner.
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!