This guide will explain you how to program the variable speed Hayward TriStar Pump. We cover how to set the time, schedule, and speed settings.
Note: This guide is intended to give you a visual reference to supplement the Hayward VS TriStar owner's manual, not replace it. Make sure you read and understand your owner's manual.
1. POWER ON - Turn on the power to the pump.
2. SET CURRENT DAY AND TIME - Press the Menu button. You will see a screen that says "Configuration Menu Locked".
3. UNLOCK CONFIGURATION MENU - Press and hold down the < and > buttons until the screen changes to "Configuration Menu Press > to Enter".
4. LOCATE TIME SCREEN - Press > twice and you should see the main time screen.
5. ENTER TIME SCREEN - Press the + button to enter the time change mode.
6. CHANGE DAY - The day will be blinking. Press the + or - to change the day. Once the correct day appears, press > to move over to the time.
7. CHANGE TIME - Once the hour is blinking, press + or - to change it. Press > to move over to the minutes and then AM/PM. Once the minutes and AM/PM is set, press > to take you to the next category (RPMS).
8. SPEED SELECTION - After completely setting the time and hitting >, you'll move on to the RPM or % Selection. You can press + or - to switch between RPM's or %. Once you have made the decision, you can press > to move to the next category.
Note: This setting decides whether you see the speed settings as RPM's (revolutions per minute) or a percentage. For example, the high setting reading for RPM's is 3450. The high setting reading for percentage would be 100%.
9. MAX SPEED - The max allowed speed can be changed by pressing + or -. Once you have selected the max speed, press > to move on to minimum speed.
Note: You may want to test the speeds by running the pump before programming the max and minimum speeds. Salt systems and heaters have minimum and max flow rates. Adding a flow meter to the plumbing will help determine the gallons per minute at certain RPM's/percentages.
10. MINIMUM SPEED - The minimum allowed speed can be changed by pressing + or -. Once you have selected the minimum speed, press > to move on to the next category.
11. PRIME DURATION - Press the + or - buttons to change the prime duration. Press > once the prime duration has been selected.
Note: The prime duration determines how long the pump will run at the set max speed when it turns on. An average prime time would be 3 minutes.
12. REMOTE CONTROL - Use the + or - to change between Stand Alone or Relay Control. If you have a control system and want it to be controlled by that system, select Relay Control. If you are operating the pump independently from a control system, select Stand Alone. Press > once you have determined the remote setting.
13. LOW TEMP OPERATION - Press = or - to select Enabled or Disabled. Press > after you have made your selection.
Note: This is a freeze protection feature. If enabled, it will turn the pump on if the temperatures approach a freezing level. That way the water in the lines won't freeze and potentially crack the pipes or damage the pump.
14. LOW TEMP SETTING - This is the temperature setting at which the pool pump would turn on to prevent freezing. Press + or - to change the temperature. Press > after you have selected the low temperature setting.
15. RESET ALL PARAMETERS - Unless you want to reset the factory parameters, click > to move on to the next screen.
16. SAVE TIME SETTINGS - You'll see a screen that says "Use Timers Menu to set timelocks", hit >. Then you'll see a screen that says "Settings Changed". Press + if you want to save or - if you want to erase everything you set.
If you hit +, you'll end up back at the home screen with the new time and date.
17. SETTING THE TIMER(S) - From the home screen, press Menu until you see "Timers Menu". Then pres > to enter the "timers Menu".
18. TIMER 1 - If you are viewing a screen that says Timer 1, press +.
19. SELECT T1 NAME - Press + or - to select the T1 name. Once the name is selected, press >.
20. SELECT TIMER ONE SPEED - Press + or - to change the RPM Speed. Press > to move on to the Timer 1 start/stop time.
Note: As mentioned in Step 9, you may want to test the speeds of the pump to see what speeds will be required for your pool system to function correctly.
21. SELECT START/STOP TIME - Use the + or - buttons to select the start time. Press the > button to switch to the stop time. Use + or - to select the stop time. Press > to move to the day selection.
22. SELECT DAYS FOR TIMER 1 - Press + or - to scroll through the options. You can have it run 7 days a week, individual days, as well as a couple of other options. Press > once you have selected the days to run.
23. ADDING ADDITIONAL TIMERS (OPTIONAL) - If you want to have the pump turn on/off multiple times a day, you can set more schedules. Press > to start setting Timer 2. Press + to start setting Timer 2.
Note: Repeat Steps 19-22 to schedule multiple timer schedules.
24. COMPLETE TIMER SCHEDULES - Hit the Menu button once you have set your timer schedules.
25. SAVE TIMER SCHEDULE(S) - You'll see a screen that says "Settings Changed". Press + if you want to save or - if you want to erase everything you set. If you hit +, you'll end up back at the home screen.
26. CHANGING FACTORY DEFAULT SPEED BUTTONS (OPTIONAL) - The speed buttons on the left-hand side of the control are preset at the factory; Speed 1 is 1000 RPM, Speed 2 is 1750 RPM, Speed 3 is 2500 RPM, and Speed 4 is 3250. If you want to change these, proceed to Step 27.
27. ACCESS SPEEDS MENU - Press the Menu button to view the Configuration Menu (if locked hold down < and >). Press > to enter the Configuration menu. Press the Menu button again until you see "Speeds Menu". Press > to enter the "Speeds Menu".
28. SETTING SPEED 1 - You should be on a screen that says "Speed 1 Name Speed 1". Press > to start setting Speed 1.
29. SETTING SPEED 1 DURATION - Press the + or - buttons to set the running time for Speed 1. Once the time is selected press >.
Note: This will determine how long the pump will run at the set speed whenever you press the Speed 1 button.
30. SETTING RPM FOR SPEED 1 - Use the + or - buttons to change the desired speed for Speed 1. Press > to move on to the next speed button.
31. SET SPEEDS 2-4 - Repeat Steps 28-30 to set the remaining speed buttons.
32. SAVE SPEED BUTTON SETTINGS - Press the Menu button after you have set the 4 Speed buttons. Then press + if you want to save the changes.
This guide is provided by https://www.inyopools.com/
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!