This guide will help you to install a Powerclean Ultra in-line Chlorinator. Chlorinators allow you to add controlled amounts of chlorine into your pool. They are attached to the output pipe after the filter. To use, open the top of the mechanism, insert chlorine tablets, and then adjust the amount of the chlorine going into the pool. Typically, they are used in the summer when the pool is used more. There are two types of chlorinators: IN-LINE CHLORINATOR - is attached directly into the plumbing system and you cut out pieces of pipe and install the whole system. OFF-LINE CHLORINATOR - sits on a stand and has two hoses – INPUT and OUTPUT – that lead from the output pipe to the chlorinator. This is used when the plumbing system on your filter has minimal space.
1. Tools you will need: 1) Hacksaw 2) Felt Tipped Pen 3) PCV Glue
2. Turn off electricity going to the pump motor via your fuse box, not just the timer. You don’t want the pump to turn on when you are doing this.
3. Determine where you want to put the chlorinator. Freshly chlorinated water will reduce the life of both the filter and heater. ALWAYS put the chlorinator AFTER the filter and heater. Generally the chlorinator should be the last unit installed before going back to the pool.
4. This system comes with fittings for 2” and 3” pipe. Determine what size you have and then put the Union Tailpiece together on both sides. Make sure the washer is seated properly and the fitting is tight.
5. Position the assembly on the out-flow pipe after the filter and make a mark on each side of the fittings. Measure 3/4” in from the mark you just made and mark with felt pen. This is where we will cut the pipe. IMPORTANT: Make sure that the flow arrow is pointed in the right direction (towards the pool)
6. Cut the pipe at the inside markings you just made.
7. Gently pull back the pipes and insert the chlorinator to see if you have a good fit. Remove.
8. Now put glue on the pipe, and on the inside of the chlorinator fittings. MAKE SURE THE FLOW ARROW IS POINTED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION (towards the pool)
9. Insert the chlorinator and hold straight up until the glue sets. Ideally, put a brick on one side of the chlorinator to support it.
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!