This guide provides a step-by-step procedure for wiring a PureLine Motor Model PL2228 and PL2229 on 230V. Pool pumps are wired to run on either 230V or 115V. Most are run on 230V and are preset at the manufacturers at 230V. If you are going to wire your own pool pump, you must first know what voltage is coming to your pump from the house circuit breaker.
1. CAUTION: Before you start wiring your pool pump, turn off all power to the pump at the breaker box.
2. Remove the two screws from the plate at the back of the motor. Set the plate and foam gasket to the side.
3. Remove the plug from the conduit hole.
4. Feed the 3 external wires through the conduit hole. Typically, the 3 external lines will be black, red and ground. These represent the two hot lines and ground respectively.
5. Connect the black (hot) line to terminal L1.
6. Connect the red (hot) line to terminal L2.
7. Connect the green (ground) line to the green screw.
8. Place foam gasket and plate on the back of the motor and tighten the two screws.
9. Attach the bonding wire to the motor's bonding lug. The bonding wire will either be exposed copper or a copper wire with a green sleeve. This line should already be installed at the pool if the pool was properly bonded.
10. Finally, prime the pump and turn on the power at the breaker.
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!