This guide will help you to clean a pool cartridge filter. This step by step guide will ensure that a routine chore of cleaning the filter is done correctly.
Note: We used a Hayward SwimClear cartridge filter in this guide. However, the general steps can be applied to any cartridge filter.
1. Turn the pool pump off.
2. Open the air relief. This will release the pressure and drain most of the water from the filter.
3. Remove the lid from the tank. This is usually done by loosening a lock ring, clamp, or knob.
4. Remove the cartridge from the filter canister and set it somewhere it can be hosed off.
5. Using the high-pressure setting on a garden hose nozzle, spray off the cartridge from the top down. Do this until the cartridge is free of debris.
6. Put the cartridge back in the filter canister.
7. Place the lid back on the filter and tighten it down.
8. Turn the pump back on. It may need to be primed if it struggles to get started.
9. Keep the air relief valve open until water starts to spray out. Then close the air relief valve.
The cartridge cleaning process is complete.
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!