Whether you’re a seasoned water pro or more of a land-lubber, you know that safety comes first on the water. It doesn’t matter what you’re doing: sailing, paddling, snorkeling or fishing, wearing a life vest is non-negotiable.
A life jacket or Life Vest is a must in every time you go out on the water for the simple reason that it provides fantastic reliability and can save your life without any exaggeration!
There are many different styles available, and you may need a different type depending on your activity and skill level, the most important things to note are comfortability, adjustability, and visibility in the water. Here are the best-selling life vests in the market:
1. ONYX MoveVent Dynamic Paddle Sports Life Vest
This Onyx vest earns an average of 4.8 stars from more than 8,100 users on Amazon. It is designed to conform to your body, and comes in x-small to xx-large. The vest features front-zip closure, front and back ventilation, adjustable side belts and shoulder pads and zipper pockets that expand.
The vest is made from heavy-duty nylon, and features SOLAS-grade reflective material for visibility. This vest is U.S. Coast Guard-approved, and a life jacket intended for boating and paddling activities, in addition to water-skiing and personal watercraft operation.
- Mesh in lower back fits high back seats
- Shoulder adjustments with neoprene comfort pads
- SOLAS grade reflective material for visibility
- Expandable zippered pockets with mesh drainage
- Heavy duty nylon fabric; soft, lightweight flotation foam
- Double crimp, funnel entry
- Expandable zippered pocket with mesh drainage
- 200 denier nylon ripstop and nylon oxford
- Attached whistle for safety
- Zip assist loop at zipper base U.S. Coast Guard Approved Type III Life Jacket / Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
2. O’Neill Men’s Superlite USCG Life Vest
The O’Neil Men’s Superlite is the budget-friendly life jacket you will be able to find. It is ultra-lightweight and comes in a stylish design. The life vest can be used for water skiing, tubing, and swimming, or just as a floating device. It doesn’t feature a bulky design, which leaves more room for you to move in. The jacket is made from a durable coated polyester shell and gives a sturdy exterior.
- USCG Approved Personal Flotation Device (Type III); Perfect For Wake Sports, Waterskiing, Tubing, And Swimming
- Designed to fit snug for your safety. Minimal bulk design allows full mobility and easy on and off
- Anatomically cut lightweight polyethylene foam flotation with durable coated - polyester outer shell makes the vest strong yet soft and comfortable
- Heavy-duty 1.5 inch wide webbing belts with quick release buckles allow for an adjustable fit and easy fastening
- Size Up. When choosing a size, try one size larger for a more relaxed fit
3. Hardcore Water Sports 2 Pack Type II Neon Yellow Life Jacket Vest - Adult Universal Boating PFD
If you want a life jacket that is bearable to wear, Hardcore Water Sport's Neon Yellow Life Vest is a no-frills option that will keep you protected in an emergency situation. Most notably is its slim padded design that's durable and comfortable when you're cruising along the waves. This life vest is not intended for use in rough waters.
Though there aren't any storage pockets and there's only one adjustable buckle, it's budget-friendly and won't strain your neck area with its over-the-head wear. And, because of its universal fit, it's ideal for a variety of body types and activities that require more arm flexibility for holding onto water sports equipment, like paddles or handles.
- Adult-sized life jacket offers basic flotation
- Universal fit - can be worn by people with many different body types
- Designed for less bulk and greater comfort
- Ideal for calm, inland water
- Material: Polyester
4. Onyx Automatic-Manual Inflatable Life Jacket
If wearing a bulky life jacket on the water doesn’t appeal, this Onyx is a great option. Uninflated, it’s a lightweight, strappy vest with a front buckle; it automatically inflates upon immersion in the water, or when you pull the “jerk to inflate” handle.
Reviewers love the soft neoprene design, especially if they spend hours on the water in heat. The vest has reflective piping for night visibility and a D-ring attachment for safety accessories. It can also be blown up orally. This one-size fits all vest is U.S. Coast Guard-approved for safety, but is not recommended for non-swimmers.
- Blue a/M-24 automatic/manual inflatable life jacket/soft neoprene neckline/for persons 16 years of age and older; and over 80 lbs
- Automatically inflates up immersion in water or when the wearer pulls the "jerk to inflate" handle/equipped with Back-Up oral inflation
- Convertible form auto/manual inflation to manual only inflation/comfortable, lightweight and low profile design
- Durable fabric resists tears and punctures/not recommended for non-swimmers or weak swimmers
- Min. Buoyancy of 22.5 lbs. When inflated/U.S. Coast guard approved type V life jacket/personal flotation device with type III performance
- Stretchable Flex-Back insert
- Convertible from automatic/manual to manual only inflation
- Low profile design keeps you cool in warm weather
- Protective cover uses 200 denier nylon ripstop and 200 denier nylon oxford
- Use A/M Rearming Kit 1352
5. Stohlquist Fit Life Jacket
The Stohlquist Life Jacket will keep you out of many pickles due to its steadfast design. It has three buckle straps at the front to make sure you are secured in rough conditions. This PFD is Coast Guard approved. The vest only weighs 7 lbs and is ultra-lightweight.
This life jacket is well suited to cover all your floating requirements. The 16 lbs jacket is USCG approved. As a result, it can hold a weight higher than 90 lbs with 30” – 52” chest. The life jacket has a universal fit to support a more considerable amount of people.
- Adjustable three buckle system.
- Sheer back panel.
- Lightweight at 7 lbs.
- Fits adults more significant than 90 lbs and with a 30”-52” chest.
- Bright red and grey color.
6. Stearns Hydroprene Life Vest, Set of 2
This Stearns life vest is a top seller on Amazon, with an average 4.7 stars from more than 1,100 reviewers. It’s understandable why it’s so broadly popular: the vest is built to be comfortable and move with you, and can be worn for a variety of activities.
Constructed from lightweight hydroprene, the jacket is also tough and features two 1.5-inch webbed straps. The vest is U.S. Coast Guard-approved. Reviewers say that the “high-quality” vest performs better than many more expensive vests, but warn that it does run small, so order one size up.
- Whether you're riding a wake or swimming a mile, the sculpted back design is going to move comfortably with you. Our lightweight Hydroprene Material technology is our softest, most maneuverable material-perfect for an entire day at the lake.
- Ride-up tabs in the front allow you to pull your US Coast Guard-approved jacket back into place when you jump into the water, and two adjustable buckled straps and zippered front keep the vest in place for the entire ride.
- Hydroprene Material is also tough, and coupled with PVC foam inside and 1.5-inch webbed straps, you're sure to catch wakes in it season after season. Lightweight Hydroprene Material construction for softer comfort and more maneuverability.
- Modern styling plus soft, comfortable hydroprene material, lightweight flotation foam, and heavy-duty 1.5-in. U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket. Approved for use for individuals weighing 90 lbs or more.
If you have any other questions about pool and spa products please do let us know - we are here to help!